TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Where do you all get parts?
DarkMesa8 Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:58 pm

I was looking around town today for basic maintanance parts, valve cover gaskets, oil screen gaskets. All of the chains stores said it would need to be ordered.

Do you all just deal with that, or are there certain stores that actually carry 1970 VW beetle parts?

ScottK Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:05 pm

I got oil change parts from AutoZone here (screen and gaskets)... but that was before I found out an oil change wasn't gonna fix my engine problems. :oops:

angelchild Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:10 pm

I am lucky (right now) and have an aircooled VW only parts/repair shop in town - Bugformance of Sacramento, CA...
I have an uncle in Canada who is a bug nut...has to order everything online, or have me pick it up and bring it along when I go for a family visit (like once a year)

DarkMesa8 Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:19 pm

ScottK wrote: I got oil change parts from AutoZone here (screen and gaskets)... but that was before I found out an oil change wasn't gonna fix my engine problems. :oops:

Doh!

Thanks guys, I'll just order the stuff and grab it tomorrow.

Do any of you all recommend/recommend against rubber valve cover gaskets so they can be reused? Sounds preferable to me.

oc63rag Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:21 pm

I've been using cork ones that I replace after every other valve adjustment. They work fine and don't leak.

DarkMesa8 Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:22 pm

Do you rtv them to the covers (not the heads), or just let them float?

Kelley Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:45 pm

here's a few places down your way for parts

K & K Foreign Car Parts Inc
5932 Tiner Ave
Orlando, Florida 32809

Matlock's VW Clinic
Orlando, Florida

Sundance Bug & Buggy
Plant City, Florida

Rick's VW Repair
1724 Snug Harbor Pl.
Sarasota , Florida 34234

DarkMesa8 Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:06 pm

Thanks a million!

Oscar73 Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:25 pm

angelchild wrote: I am lucky (right now) and have an aircooled VW only parts/repair shop in town - Bugformance of Sacramento, CA...
I have an uncle in Canada who is a bug nut...has to order everything online, or have me pick it up and bring it along when I go for a family visit (like once a year)

I highly suggest getting your maintenance parts from Foreign Parts Specialties on 65th instead. Nothing against Bugformance (I just spent $1500 there) but your gonna get better parts at better prices at FPS. Ask for Chris and tell him Brandon sent ya ;)

I just needed a new hazard switch and they had one in stock, original VW part :)

ottobahn Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:41 pm

I've had real good luck with cip1.com,free shipping if you buy enough stuff,tons of VW stuff.

Mike J. Goode Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:14 pm

most import/European car parts houses should carry air cooled parts. I live in Chicago where there are a lot less VWs than in Florida (although still far more of them than any other car of similar vintage) and do not have a problem getting parts. just for your info I have tried the oil change kit from Pep Boys (screen and gaskets) and have to say that it does not work well at all. The holes in the bottom of the screen are smaller by quite a bit-do not know if that matters or not (these are actually near the bottom, around the sides). Also the 6 mounting holes are too small to fit the studs although you can enlargen them easily enough. Worse yet is the fact that the gaskets are the thinnest I have seen and do not seal. My bug leaked oil like crazy with these gaskets. I ended up reusing my old screen and installing new german gaskets.

bill may Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:19 pm

rtv should only be used between spigots and bottom of liners.<-- period. use permatex or gaska cinch only on valve cover side of gasket and a light coat of grease on head side and you will get more than just 2 times use. if you dont know what a spigot and a liner is, and buy all rtv in your state, then dont touch a beetle newer than 66 or older than 68..