TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Motor wont go in.....
vwcentral Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:48 pm

I just got home today to come and install my motor.... everything should fit the fly wheel and all but it seems like the shaft doesnt want to go in.... ive never had this problem. Im thinking the clutch is not alinged currently is there a way i can do it without the tool.

I usually do it by eye and works but i cant get it this time lol... Thanx

bill may Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:51 pm

get glasses or clean yours? i use a trans input from discarded trans. but i have only been doing them since aug.65 and you may have been doing them longer.

KillerB Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:19 am

Did you get it in? The first time my son and I put a 1600SP into his '65, I just eyeballed the clutch plate. It went in but we had a little problem. Try putting the car in gear and having somebody move one of the rear wheels to try and get everything to mesh up. Last week, we had the engine out again to replace a rotten pressure plate that had broken the throwout bearing arm. I bought a $2 plastic centering tool at the local VW parts shop and the engine went in like butter! Definitely worth the $2.

Good luck!

joemac Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:26 am

Yeah, what he said.
It doesn't take very much for the hub of the clutch disk to be off centre enough to cause headaches. Make sure the tip of the mainshaft, and the splines are well greased.

Glenn Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:26 am

Did you replace the clutch? If so what year tranny is it?

If it's a 70 or older then the centering rin on the perssure plate must be removed.

bill may Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:53 am

oooh Glenn: 71 and newer have No ring. 1970 downwards do have the ring.

KillerB Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:02 am

Not to highjack this discussion and this may be a dumb question, but what is the pressure plate centering ring? Thinking back to the problems I encountered with this pressure plate and subsequently replacing it when it seemed to cause a failure to two throwout bearing arms, it had a center ring where the new one I just installed did not. Should the previous owner have removed this ring prior to installing the engine?