TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: That bummer of a feeling...
Nid Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:12 am

The wiring crapped out on my '67. When trying to replace the blinker relay, i discovered the previous owner or even before him bodged a ton of wiring together. It doesnt make any sense. Ergo, I'm out of a car until I can fix it. So I tried my parent's super beetle, to see if I can get round with it. Dead. Charged the battery. Won't crank at all.

:(

Plus the oil cooler started to spit oil all over. Looks like I've got myself a lot of work to get around to.

abbiedolphin Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:50 am

What sound, if any, do you hear on the super when you turn the key? Does it turn over at all, just click, silence...? Has it been sitting for a while?

Oh--re-read your post. Oil cooler probs too-bummer :(

Nid Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:27 am

I turn the key and the interior light dims. No sounds, no cranking, no clicking, no nothing. This is with a fresh battery.

abbiedolphin Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:34 am

Try giving the starter solenoid a bit of a tap/whack with a hammer. It might be stuck...

volks67beetle Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:39 am

I know it is a super but that happened last week with my 67, fresh battery, new this past summer. I cranked it, then an odd noise from the starter...like it farted or something.... cranked again , nothing, again, nothing...then again nothing...a few swear words...tried again...nothing.... then I messed with some wires from the regulator...and boom it started. Could be a wire not making contact to the starter...or something like that...... just a thought.

USMCbug Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:58 am

This happened to me once before I replaced my battery cables. Hasnt happened since. Also make sure your fuse terminals are clean. Your problem will go away.

Nid Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:31 pm

So then, update. Someone wired in a 4 prong relay for the flashers, and put a '71 emergency flasher switch in instead of the old one. The wiring under the hood is so fucked I am taking it to the shop. As loathe as I am to part with my money, there's nothing I can do at the moment. The wiring under the hood has been significantly altered from stock in the '67.

The '72 will now crank slowly with the battery from my dad's '70 Cougar Eliminator.

TeamSpatula Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:20 am

Don't give up quite yet. Wiring is like a big puzzle - you just need a good stock diagram as the key. I spent many hours rewiring my 62 DC when I first got it. I ended up pretty much unwiring everything, then using the diagram, putting it all together the way it belongs. It wasn't that difficult, just tedious and time consuming.