TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: type 1 68 engine into 65??
anthratight Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:53 pm

Can anyone tell me if a 1968 type 1 engine can go into a 1965 type 1 if I convert the electrical to 12V? Thanks, David

Amaze65 Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:58 pm

yup.

Rome Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:05 pm

You should do a search on this Forum to find more details. You must first modify the transmission for the '68 engine to fit if you use the flywheel from the '68 engine too. Also need to find a suitable starter to match up with the teeth on the flywheel.

If you want to replace your '65 tranny (not the axles) with one from a '67 or '68 Beetle, then:
- you will not need to modify the trans to fit the '68 engine
- you can use the '68's flywheel
- your 12V starter will mount without modifications
- you will have better transmission ratios for highway cruising; that is, the engine will not be revving as high at the same road speed as with the '65 tranny
- the later trans is somewhat stronger internally in case you want to do drag-race type starts occasionally

BUT: IMO it is more difficult to replace the tranny than to install a later engine. If you plan on keeping this car for a long time, you might want to consider it.

anthratight Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:43 pm

Thanks, What it is is that I have a '68 with a beautifully running engine, with everything else wrong, and looking at a '65 with a clunky engine, but the body is perfect. Basically I can mix and match, but it sounds like its easier ( and faster) to strip the '65s trans and engine and replace it with the '68. I have to plan it all out and tackle it next week, thanks again! David

joemac Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:51 pm

If you choose putting the '68 transaxle into the '65, you will have to switch axles, because they are different lengths.

DrDarby Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:16 am

Personally I'd rethink all that work with swapping transaxles. The '65's trans will be fine with the 68 engine, I have a 74 engine in my 64 since 1980 and it routinely sees 75-80mph trips. I don't think the diff in RPMs is worth the work in stock application. You need only grind a small amount out of the bell housing in 4 - 5 areas or if your '65 still has the proper late 40hp you can just swap the flywheel but that would give you a smaller / weaker clutch. When I originally did my swap, I used the late 40hp flywheel, generator stand, 6v generator, choke element and coil on my 1600. It worked fine by removing the 12v idle jet and screwing a float bowl plug into the hole. In about '86 I converted the car to 12v with a stock generator but have left the 6v starter & flywheel w/small 180mm clutch in it and it has worked fine this way for almost 20 years. I upgraded the pressure plate to the late style diaphragm type at that time too.
If you do the swap and use the 12v flywheel in the '65 trans you can either install a simple and cheap adapter bushing to support the nose of the starter or get a starter for a 68-75 Autostick or Vanagon and install that (SR17X I think they are). To clearance you'll simply hold the flywheel up to the bell housing and try to fit it in. This will show you where to clearance ( and it is not a lot ). If you do not clearance quite enough the flywheel will finish the job for you the first time you start the car. It'll sound like hell but will go away after a couple of blips on the throttle and wont hurt anything.