TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Please help me tell these bolts apart
Major Woody Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:05 pm

One of these rear pulley bolts came off the 1500 SP in my 67 westy, and the other one came off the 36hp longblock that I bought for my bug. Now that they're all clean and shiny, I can't remember which one goes with which engine.

In case it isn't apparent from the photos, the one in the background has a cast head with a broad base. The top of the bolt is deeply dished. The bolt in the foreground just has a plain head.

Can anyone identify these? Thanks.

Friedpotatoes Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:12 pm

On all the 63+ 40hp up to 1600 DP. . have seen that first one.

my brother just recieved a 67 long block and it has that first one also.

hazetguy Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:30 pm

the one on the left is 40hp and newer.
the one on the right is 36hp for type 1 (bus would have a crank start nut).

Major Woody Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:04 pm

Thanks everyone, that makes sense. I found a large flat washer to go with the late bolt.

I also have a wavy washer sitting around unidentified; I was thinking it was for the 36hp bolt as it has the same outer diameter as the the 36hp bolt, but the inner diameter is much bigger than the shaft of the bolt. Is it supposed to be that way? It's the only "extra" large washer that I have.

Thanks again!

Flipseat Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:07 pm

I haven't tried it yet, so I'll ask here. Will a 36hp crankstart nut fit a 40hp crank? I assume it will. I have the nut, and crankstart breast tin, and am keeping my eyes open for a crankstart apron and handle... figured the crankstart would be fun, and possibly necessary for those weekends camping if I drain the battery using the lights. I will have to figure out what to do with the breast tin though as a 36hp has a "dish" for the fuel pump where the 40hp does not. The gaping hole wouldn't look right...

Andrew Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:48 pm

Flipseat wrote: I haven't tried it yet, so I'll ask here. Will a 36hp crankstart nut fit a 40hp crank? I assume it will. I have the nut, and crankstart breast tin, and am keeping my eyes open for a crankstart apron and handle... figured the crankstart would be fun, and possibly necessary for those weekends camping if I drain the battery using the lights. I will have to figure out what to do with the breast tin though as a 36hp has a "dish" for the fuel pump where the 40hp does not. The gaping hole wouldn't look right...

Take a spare, junk 40hp breast tin and use the 36hp one as a template to make a crankstart apron out of the 40hp one.

Lind Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:49 pm

Flipseat wrote: I will have to figure out what to do with the breast tin though as a 36hp has a "dish" for the fuel pump where the 40hp does not. The gaping hole wouldn't look right...
just cut a hole in a piece of 40hp tin and put the flapper on it.