TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: oil bath filter to air filter
Burlon Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:11 pm

Has anyone converted from an oil bath filter to an air filter? I have a 1600 on my 70 and I thought it would be easier and cleaner to switch to an air filter. I appreciate anybody's opinion and expertise.

USMCbug Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:46 pm

My 73 had an older sp engine in it with an oil bath when I first got it. I put in a dp engine with the correct year paper element filter afterwards. I preferred the oil bath one as it was easy to mantain and cheaper. The paper elements can get pricey and they do no better than the oil bath ones IMHO.

I now have dual carbs with washable K&N filters.

TeamSpatula Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:11 am

I agree- stay with the oil bath, as long as it's in good shape. It's a lot cheaper 7 easier to change the oil out in it every time than to buy a whole stack of those paper filters. I put a paper filter on my old bus, and ended up putting the oil bath back on after not being able to find the filters only, just the kits with brackets & everything...I've never had a problem with the oil bath, just remember you do have to change the oil in there regularly, and clean out all the sludge from the bottom.

DrDarby Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:53 am

The oil bath air filters also have a built in velocity stack whick is a nice bonus

Miguel Arroyo Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:21 am

For stock engines I suggest you stay with the original oil type air filter. It is cheaper and one hell of conversation piece with new car owners :D

bugsville Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:01 pm

I recently replaced my cheapie chrome filter with a stock oil bath and I have to say the car runs 300 times better than it ever has before (74 super - 1600dp - pict30 carb).

joemac Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:09 pm

Man, I'm beginning to feel like I'm just full of trivia.
Well, full of something, anyway.
The reason VW used a screen for the oil was that the engineers reasoned that the oil bath air cleaner was so efficient that an oil filter was unnecessary.
That should tell us something about the oil bath system.

vwdub04 Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:13 pm

Sorry guys, I like my chrome air filter. It takes up less room in the engine compartment which =more air. My proformance is that sample if not a little better. The stock air filter is to restrictive. Let your carb breath guys. I will change the filter about once a year.

Randy in Maine Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:26 pm

Seen this over at www.type2.com?

Oil Bath Air Filter Cleaning
by John Anderson
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I read an SAE report a few years ago comparing oil bath wicking filters to some popular pleated paper and oiled gauze element filters. The oil bath was superior on all counts. VW knew what they were doing. It lasts forever and maintainence isn't really all that involved.

I had to wash the filter element on the '70. I sat the top part with the horsehair in a 5 gallon bucket of kerosene for an hour. As it became evident I'd go through kerosene forever, I went to TSP and very hot water. I went through 3 water changes then finished back in the kerosene. It was AMAZING what came off the horse hair, and scary. But when I was finished the hair appeared brand new and clean as a whistle. After the last water wash I hooked a compact hair drier into the outlet with duct tape and let it blow dry for a good half hour. The whole thing was toasty warm with no moisture left. Then I dipped it once into kerosene, dried it, then reassembled with a cleaned bottom half and new oil.

Has your filter had regular maintainence its entire life? And, just what did VW figure its life was? I'm quite happy with the result and feel much better about what the truck now sucks its air though.

bill may Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:46 pm

coconut fibers are not "Horse Hair"... the oil bath is the most efficient filter ever. see coconut fibers is truth.

BuglyJones Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:48 pm

Quote: [Sorry guys, I like my chrome air filter. It takes up less room in the engine compartment which =more air. My proformance is that sample if not a little better. The stock air filter is to restrictive. Let your carb breath guys. I will change the filter about once a year.]
I'm sorry too.. Maybe someone can explain to me what part of the oil bath air-filter is restricting...I put one of those expensive "C B Performance" air-filters on my 1970, new 1600 engine...That P.O.S was on there for about a month. It worked O-kay I guess, but all it took was a little bit of moisture in the air and the engine started running piss poor. I put the oil-bath back on and it's been running just fine since...It might not look as good but it works much bitter.. I thought about getting the stock oil-bath breather chrome plated.. Any thoughts on that???

TimGud Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:02 pm

The oil bath is the least restrictive air cleaner of them all. What makes it work is the bend the air has to take to make it through the filter. The dust can not stay suspended and only clean air makes it through. The oil bath air cleaner is the way to go.

joemac Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:42 pm

Re: chrome-plating an air filter- for starters, chrome-plating costs a small fortune. Second, to chrome-plate the upper half, the part with the mesh inside, would be difficult, at best. The mesh would have to be removed, which I imagine would be a major undertaking, getting it out, and then back in successfully. But, don't despair.
Step 1- buy a used suitable for your year, stock air cleaner. If you can leave yours off for an extended period, then skip step one.
Step 2- use your favourite paint-removal system to clean every square milimeter of paint off the two halves of the air cleaner.
Step 3- this is optional. Bead blast the outer surfaces to acheive absolute perfection. Otherwise, render the steel as clean as the proverbial whistle.
Step 4- carefully sand the surfaces with 600 grit, then 800, then 1000, 1200, etc., until you've become pleased with the resulting amount of shine, without any scratches.
Step 5- polish the surface with a good metal polish. I like Autosol or Simichrome. Mothers is also very good. Polish until it looks like chrome.
Step 6- Critical- wash the entire surface several times with brake cleaner or electrical contact cleaner, both of which will remove any residue of polish. You want it squeaky clean.
Step 7- Lightly dust several thin coats of gloss polyerethane on it. If you can, do it in a well-lit, dust-free environment. If not, do the best you can.
If you aren't excatly satisfied with the gloss, you can buff it out.
Step 8- Install your beautiful "chromed" air cleaner.
Step 9- Have a beer.

ottobahn Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:21 pm

I thought about chroming just the top of my oil bath filter,the guy at the chrome shop said no way,it would contaminate their tank with oil and would'nt do it for me. I'm running a 65 oil bath aircleaner on my 1600 single port,its small,looks nice and I hooked up the preheat pipe to it,my car warms up a lot better and runs great.

emersonbiggins Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:43 pm

Burlon wrote: Has anyone converted from an oil bath filter to an air filter? I have a 1600 on my 70 and I thought it would be easier and cleaner to switch to an air filter. I appreciate anybody's opinion and expertise.

Yes. I posted a picture of it early last year.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=60810

Schmooey Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:59 pm

The custom jobs lack a still air plenum to smooth the flow. Turbulent air at the intake also restricts flow, and the engine compartment is pretty chaotic.
Too bad they don't look like a Kewl Kustom item. :D

bill may Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:15 pm

emerson did it to a genuine 1967 only aircleaner..

Kris Styes Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:40 am

Stay with a stock "oil" breather/filter system, built to last a lifetime. Just clean it as so many advise in this posting.

Most, if not all filter systems, will do fine as long as they are kept clean.

Make sure you match the filter system(s) to the air flow needed to your engine cc's.

Kris (Kansas) COLD HAS HELL HERE NOW!

emersonbiggins Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:09 pm

bill may wrote: emerson did it to a genuine 1967 only aircleaner..
Yes I did. Even VW eventually went to a paper filter.