TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Beetle or Superbeetle
V-wagen Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:57 pm

Why are Beetles considered better than Superbeetles :?:

gt1953 Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:04 pm

well that depends on whom you speak with.
some prefer the old old school one some prefer the middle one and some like supers.
As long as it is air cooled I like em all. Except the early Subaru's that are air cooled.

Glenn Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:05 pm

It's personal taste.

Some people think and Beetle made after 1967 is junk, while some like late modes because they cheap and ther like Supers because they handle very well.

Bill E. Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:01 pm

I like the 74-77 bugs, not the supers.

They may be fattys, but they are the best made.

Everyone wants theirs to be like them :lol:

Miguel Arroyo Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:04 pm

It really does not matter, so just enjoy whichever you have :D

joemac Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:48 pm

That's it?
I thought for sure there was going to be a knock-down, drag out fight. :shock:
I've always been of the opinion that the 1967 Type 1 was the best vehicle VW produced.
The reasoning is based on several factors;
Coming from a family that owned VWs for quite a while, by the time I was old enough to drive them. An early introduction meant that it didn't take long before I had a lengthy eyewitness account of their performance.
My dad was always a Ford guy. *burp* Finally, around 1969, after borrowing my sister's '59 to get through the snow to work, he was hooked, and then drove a '64 for a few years. Then I found him a nice '70.
My uncle, two aunts, cousins, three sisters and a brother and I owned them. My uncle's Bus eventually made its way to my brother, but while my uncle had it, I loved the rides in the back. It was a Ceiling Wax Red '63 bench seat DeLuxe sunroof with jailbars.
My first was a '64 sunfoof Bug with a bad first gear for the first year I had it. I was the only one who could drive it, because it jumped out of 1st and scared the bejeebus out of anyone else.
Anyway, when I graduated to the first '67 I knew that was the pinnacle of production. The factory had it down by then. I didn't know it, but we were about to lose Heinz Nordoff, and things would change very soon.
Since then, I've seen all the success and failures, great acheivements and terrible ideas, the cutting edge technological leaps and the dubious designs.
Working for VW, then working for myself on VWs, rebuilding several thousand engines in the process, countless oil and brake changes, the transition to the Type 4, Rabbits, Dashers, but always being a Bug guy, has given me a perspective that is somewhat informed and educated.
With the possible exception of the double-jointed rear axle suspension, I cannot think of a single worthwhile improvement that was ever made to the design and production of the 1967 model.
It is, to me, in its' own way, possibly the most well designed, most extensively thought-out, well-executed and detailed example of economical, efficient, dependable transportation the company produced.
And it was simple.
Nothing that followed had the simplicity of the original design like the '67 and earlier. They just kept getting better and better, until then.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Glenn Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:51 pm

joemac wrote: That's it?
I thought for sure there was going to be a knock-down, drag out fight. :shock:

If you want a fight... post this in the Split/Oval forum.

As long as it's "aircooled", it's OK with me.

ice baller61 Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:59 pm

I agree, keep it air cooled

bill may Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:19 am

well i can only say that as a dealer tech. in late 60's and 70's i own 2-67 beetles and 1- 67 bus.. but i do like Glenn Rings Fat Chick(it looks like a Gene Berg wish list.

joemac Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:52 am

I certainly DON'T want a fight.
I thought the smiley face suggested my demeanor...
:D

Glenn Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:02 am

joemac wrote: I certainly DON'T want a fight.
I thought the smiley face suggested my demeanor...
:D

:wink:

Kalen1970 Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:29 am

as long as its a pre-1998 bug, I'm happy with it :D

V-wagen Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:50 pm

What are the major differences between a Beetle and a Superbeetle :?:
Im sort of a newbie :lol:

Glenn Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:53 pm

V-wagon wrote: What are the major differences between a Beetle and a Superbeetle :?:
Im sort of a newbie :lol:

Super Beetle has MacPherson front struts and Beetle has ball joint front end.

71-72 Super has flat windshield, 73-79 Super has curved windshield.
All Beetles have flat windshield.

That's the basics.

Schmooey Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:43 pm

Like most really fun cars, the growth of emissions and safety requirements made VW stretch the limits of the design. The Supers were still good cars despite the added complexity. From personal experience they are way safer in a collision and are more comfortable on long trips. I'd say VW did better than the British and Italian carmakers in this regard.

Still, from a simple mechanical standpoint, I prefer the 67. :wink:

rickcsvdubs Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:53 am

I bought one of each, i love em both so go with whatever catches your eye.

crd Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:25 pm

agreed. It's all good. people who want to fight over this issue need to reprioritize. :)

Mike J. Goode Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:52 pm

Yeah, it all depends on what you want to use it for. I prefer the 66-71 models myself, IMO they represent the best of what VW did. I also like the 96-up Mexican beetles too, some noteable changes over earlier models. I like the look and simplicity of standard beetles but the Supers had more equiptment, longer wheelbase, better ride/handling, and the front trunk was twice the size, and they are safer in a front ender.
I've had these: 56, 64(2),65,66(vert),67,68,69,76,90 std, 71(2),74 Super. I like/liked em all. It does seem like the quality of metal/trim parts was off from around 73-on, IMO.

V-wagen Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:26 pm

Ive heard alot about '67. Why is '67 such a popular year? Thanks for answering all of my questions. Ive also got great news Ive spotted a beetle has just came up for sale down the road. I dont know what year it is but Ive lived here long enough to know that the car is owned by elderly people which might or might not sugest low mileage and it apears to be in prime condition possibly garage kept. :D I am planning on talking to the owner tomorrow. I hope I can strike a deal.