TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Wheels, paint or powder coat?
toddyvol Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:32 am

I'm getting ready to have my wheels sandblasted. currently they have what looks like 1/2 inch of gloss black paint. I want to go back to the original L87 pearl White that came on my '64. I 've also considered adding an additional color like red to give it a two tone look. I plan on my seats being red with white piping.

My Question should I buy the paint and spray myself which I can do or should I have them powder coated.

I don't know much about powder color other than ho it works. Can you powder coat any color including L87?

I really don't want a generic white.

DrDarby Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:46 am

The wheels on my Zwitter were supposed to be black outer rim with pearl white center. I had them sandblasted in & out and powder coated black, then carefully masked the outer rim and roughed up the center with some scotch brite pads and painted the centers pearl white. I used a spray gun but there is no reason you couldn't use a spray can. Duplicolor makes a spray can paint in their bigger "Truck" type cans that is an almost perfect match to VW's "pearl white". I don't remember it if was Ford "Wimbleton White" or what the exact color was but I had to do an emergency repaint of a licence plate light assembly the day before a car show and the paint store was closed and with the gaslet in place the paint matched so well that I have never fixed it "properly".
Your '64 should have a black center and pearl white outer. I felt that having the wheels powder coated has an extra step but I had this done in 1986 or '87 and they have held up so well that I'd do it again whenever the need arises. You can't "mix" powder coating to come up with an exact color but it is available in 100's of colors now so you choose something that is close.

Miguel Arroyo Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:14 am

In late 2003 I had my beetle's 5 wheels sandblasted and painted. If I had to do it again I would do it the same way. Why, because in South Florida the prices I got quoted were 3 to 4 times higher than just painting.

If not for the big diference I would powder coat them.

hlwimmer Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:06 am

powder coating will last longer and look better. you might find it tough to get an exact match... but. i had my seat frames pc-ed in a stock color called "putty" (every mfg. will be different) and its dead center between pearl white and silver beige. at the same time, i had my wheels painted with pearl white -- big mistake (already rusting and look like hell). if i keep my smoothies, they will be the same putty-color soon. i will even forgo the clay-beige center for a longer lasting solid color that is resistant to roadsalt, rocks, etc... if you do choose to add a second color, think about doing it base-clear. while not original (neither was pc), the clear will add a layer of protection down there and be a higher quality paint that spray can paint. even if you stay with single stage, have someone hit it with "real" automotive paint. like your shoes (the ones on your feet), your wheels say a lot about your car, but also take the most abuse... choose-em well.

RareAir Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:07 pm

Go the powdercoated route, much more durable and longer lasting. Here in California cost is about $25/per wheel (blasted & powdercoated) Then just do as DrDarby suggested and paint over the powdercoating with the color(s) you want

ScrapJunkie Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:17 pm

The Split bus forum went through this topic a little bit ago. Some were saying not to have the seats for the lug bolts coated, or if they do, make sure to roughen up the surface. There were stories of lugs coming loose and wheels falling off.

Bill E. Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:06 pm

I would have to say that the powder coater has to know what they are doin!!! If the powder/paint pools in the seam of the wheel, the paint will crack/rust there when the wheel flexes. Also the seam wont be crisp and clean.

Isnt the original finish paint???

Where do you get L41 for the wheels?? 85%black, 85%gloss??

69 Jim Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:21 pm

Powdercoating is imho the way to go. It is impervious to about everything you will encounter and looks great for a hell of a long time. Wheel flexing shouldn't be a problem either. At the powdercoaters shop I use, they have coated several 18 guage pieces of steel and you can flex and bend them all you want and nothing at all happens to the finish. :wink: