TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Car covers
abdon Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:41 am

This is a testimonial in favor of car covers. Since I got a '67 bus in need of a LOT of help, my '66 beetle has been sleeping outside for about two months now. It took less than a month for the tail pipes to develop a lot of surface rust! I must admit some fault is my own for buying the cheap repro ones, but they had been rust free while the car was garaged.

Anyways, I just got a generic car cover from Sams club for about $35 bucks and I'm amazed at how well it works. This morning my regular car was soaking wet on dew with all windows fogged. I touched the cover of the beetle and it was also wet. I pulled up to look under and it was bone dry, without a single trace of fog on any of the windows.

It might be a pain to put that thing in an out (it has a nice, tight fit) but if your car lives outside it is money well spend.

Miguel Arroyo Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:51 am

I use them also although I take it off follwowing a rainstorm to dry off the car. Then I reinstall it.

TimGud Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:24 am

I had a convertible in my back yard for a few years and kept it covered with car covers. The sun did such a number on them (I live in Arizona) that it would have been cheaper to just bite the bullet and get one of those portable garages instead.

Kel Dub Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:04 pm

Where is the best place to go about getting a cover?

74 Beetle Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:18 pm

What's also nice about carcovers and beetles, are that beetles are small. I've used several different car covers, all not designed for a beetle, and they fit well.

When my car has to be outside and it's going to snow I usually put a car cover on.

abdon Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:53 am

Kel Dub wrote: Where is the best place to go about getting a cover?

Cosco, Sams Club, BJ's, any of a number of wholesale membership joints. If you don't have a membership, find a friend.

I would think Walmart ought to have them. Nice thing about them is that you usually get one of the best prices around.

Miguel Arroyo Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:05 am

abdon wrote: Kel Dub wrote: Where is the best place to go about getting a cover?

Cosco, Sams Club, BJ's, any of a number of wholesale membership joints. If you don't have a membership, find a friend.

I would think Walmart ought to have them. Nice thing about them is that you usually get one of the best prices around.

Mid America sell a couple of models specifically for beetles. Good luck.

Glenn Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:49 am

I got mine directly from Covercraft.

I originally bought a NOAH cover thinking I might store the car outside. It was great, but unfortunetly I damaged it and replaced it wth a Eveolution 4 cover since I stays in the garage.

Noah

Miguel Arroyo Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:23 pm

Glenn wrote: I got mine directly from Covercraft.

I originally bought a NOAH cover thinking I might store the car outside. It was great, but unfortunetly I damaged it and replaced it wth a Eveolution 4 cover since I stays in the garage.

Noah

Glenn, as I understand it either one is excellent plus since they are thick can absorb minor impacts without damaging the finish.