TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Calling all Experts...
CoachOty Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:05 am

I just got my 72 Standard and from the post in the Super Beetle forum it looks as if I might have a Super instead of the standard. The title and registration only state it being a sedan. Is it supposed to say Super anywhere on it, or could that have been info that was lost int he process?

The bug I have has the coils behind the front tires and they are noticable. Also the gas tank is flat and near the dash in the hood and the spare is laying flat. Here are some links to some photos for anyone who might be able to help clarify my beetle.

http://webpages.charter.net/thehoodfamily/72Bug/72WebBug.html

I also called VW with my 10 digit Vin number but they only keep records till 91, at least that is what they told me. Is there a way to find out more info about my car with that vin through another source? I want to find out for sure, because I am beginning the restoration and I want to make sure I know what I am dealing with.

The link above has a boat load of pictures that maybe folks can comment on and make suggestions about identifying it, restoration and repair tips...thanks for the help in advance.

USMCbug Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:09 am

Its a super.

Glenn Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:10 am

Super.

Alan Willis Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:12 am

yep yep super duper

keifernet Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:21 am

Most state titles just say "SDN" or sedan since the cars are 2 doors, the VIN would be the give away on the title, and of course the tell tell signs of struts up front and flat spare...

super super duper! :lol:

bill may Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:04 pm

you have a super beetle-but then im no "expert"

CoachOty Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:50 pm

Alan Willis Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:58 pm

no pics for supers(never owned one)but these cars are hella fun to restore/customize!All the bugs ive rebuilt have either been barnfinds/abandonned cars;my latst project is a '60eurorag my friend Larry found while hunting in the woods out in North Carolina!its a bit rusty,but my clubmates and I already have most of the car back together in less than a month!it wont make it to our San Marcos get together,but will be at the Santee meet!

keifernet Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:59 pm

Alan Willis Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:01 pm

since it is in fact a super,you should post in that forum,as they will be better able to help you out,and you may even find someone in your area that could come over and give you a hand on your new project!

gerg Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:37 pm

bill may wrote: you have a super beetle-but then im no "expert"

To bad the Super was not introduced in '67 . . you'd be the subject matter expert :scrambleup:

\:D/

gt1953 Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:44 pm

Based on the pictures in the link

it is a super beetle...the dead give away is the spare tire laying flat in the trunk.

Scott H Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:29 pm

keifernet wrote: the VIN would be the give away on the title
Not for '71 & '72.
Standard and Super sedans had the same VIN prefix for those two years.

bill may Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:27 am

well Greg,i think 67's are Super Beetles, just not super beetles. anyone can own a super beetle -but to own a 65-67 that is heaven :D

keifernet Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:04 am

Scott H wrote: keifernet wrote: the VIN would be the give away on the title
Not for '71 & '72.
Standard and Super sedans had the same VIN prefix for those two years.

Yeah, your right, thanks for the correction...