TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Can I use a pump engine?
langsmer Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:38 pm

Do you guys know if you can put an engine from one of thouse old vw industrial pump engines in a bus, if you took all of that pump stuff off? I was thinking of doing that because it looks like it would be a good way to get a complete stock low miles vw engine, and the magnetos and mushroom air cleaners are pretty cool 8) . I dont have much money to throw around, and it seems like it might work with my budget. Well is it a good idea? :-k

Hmmmm food for thought

mintonman Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:48 pm

I belive with a couple changes you can. I think these motors were ment to run at one speed & under little load, so you probably have to change the distributer, carb & god only knows what else. I'm probably totally wrong, but somone will chime in soon enough :)

Flipseat Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:02 pm

You can use one of those, but its some work. Those were meant to run a piece of equipment, and not a car, so some are a good bit different. Some have different flywheels that won't work, some have governors, some have different tin, some have dished (lower compression) pistons, and I think I heard a couple had different cams? So basically, you'll have to do some work to the engine in order to use it. Someone else will know more than me, but those are a few things I've seen and heard of.

VWBobby Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:09 pm

If those are yours, I would definatly SELL them and buy the correct engine for your bus. Some vintage collector might pay big bucks for that pump...

Those magneto's aren't cheap either!

Miguel Arroyo Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:35 pm

VWBobby wrote: If those are yours, I would definatly SELL them and buy the correct engine for your bus. Some vintage collector might pay big bucks for that pump...

Specially guys with VW fire trucks :D

langsmer Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:27 am

VWBobby wrote: If those are yours, I would definatly SELL them and buy the correct engine for your bus. Some vintage collector might pay big bucks for that pump...

Heck no thous arent mine! I would have sold them already and gotten a real engine, but the reason I am looking at them is they are only $800. (mums the word)

VWBobby Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:38 pm

langsmer wrote: VWBobby wrote: If those are yours, I would definatly SELL them and buy the correct engine for your bus. Some vintage collector might pay big bucks for that pump...

Heck no thous arent mine! I would have sold them already and gotten a real engine, but the reason I am looking at them is they are only $800. (mums the word)

For $800 you can get a damn nice used engine that will work 50x better for your bus... As others were saying, they were designed to run at a steady speed for hours. You would most likely have to change all the jets, recurve the magneto (maybe), and check out the flywheel situation, change the tin, etc. I would just save those pumps for people restoring their firebus's and such, because once that stuff gets split up it could take a long time for people to make a complete pump again. Just my 2 cents.
:wink: -Bobby

langsmer Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:59 pm

the guy emailed me and sed I just had to change the magneto.I dont know if i want to spend $800 on an expirament. I was just tossing the idea around, but I dont think so.

PEPPE Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:51 am

i have a friend in italy (sicily) that has some NOS unused.
ha has tried the magneto too and it works in the car, just right advance curve. look for him on EBAY redcoxdgm or similar

Alan Willis Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:44 am

Those motors are badass!You have to change the flywheel,but they are more reliable than a regular 36horse!The tolerances were tighter on those motors as they were designed to run at one speed,WIDE OPEN! the top is an open element top(no cleaner to allow more airflow) you could buy it and sell the parts you dont use to someone else for display!ps that magneto requires no maintenance,EVER! ive had mine for years,never had to touch it!