TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: attaching door panels...clips or snaps?
VWBobby Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:40 pm

Hi guys,

I know this has been covered before but not in detail that I could find.

I am trying to find some snaps that I can put through some 1/8" panel board that I'm padding and wrapping with fabric. I've seen snaps and snap kits that punch the snap, but these look like they're meant for fabric or canvas....wich is much thinner.

Has anyone came up with a way of installing the door panels without visible screws, button heads, etc? I want only the fabric showing.

I was considering some clip like this but they look like they would be a PITA to install: http://autobodysupplies.safeshopper.com/13/cat13.htm?355

Thank You,
-Bobby

westy67 Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:14 pm

Have you considered the clips that are used on a Beetle?

VWBobby Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:24 pm

Yes I was thinking about using those actually... I guess I could just use a round hole that was slightly larger than the clip. I was trying to figure out how to make a rectangle hole without using a puch or chisel on every hole.

mintonman Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:26 pm

Bobby,
are you gonna, or are you willing to drill holes in your doors to put these clips through?? If so, why not just make your panels clip on like newer bus panels. You would have to drill 3/8 in. holes in your panel befor covering & I think it's a 5/16 in. hole in the doors to push the clips through. I made panels for my old 79 & my 59 single, but I used screws in the 59 for the early look of them.

The clips you have pictured probably won't work because of how they work. the center of those clips have to be pulled out befor the clip is put into the hole of the door & then you push the center in & that expands the clip, or spreads it apart. Hope this helps alittle................james

Ragman Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:27 pm

I would use these. You will need to cut holes in the panel board, then cover the front with your material.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=N143893

Then, if you want to seal them water tight, use these too.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113881000

VWBobby Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:42 pm

J.minton, Thanks for your help. I'm going for the more seamless look like the new cars have, good ideas you have though.

Ragman,

Cool, I think I'll go with the Beetle style clips. For some reason I kept thinking I would have to make rectangle slots to fit the clips in (like the factory panels I've seen). Now that I think about it, I had some SCAT door panels that used round holes a few years back.

Now why can I build anything else I want, but I can't even figure out panel clips?? :oops: Funny how my mind works.... :roll:

Signed, "you're making it harder than it needs to be"
-Bobby

westy67 Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:13 pm

You might do a dry run fit and then epoxy the clip in place. Might make it easier. You also might need to square off part of the hole so the clip seats better in the bottom of the 'U piece". Just make sure the enter of the clip is in the center of the hole, even if you have to shift the hole slightly. Have fun. :)

bill may Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:46 pm

all my beetles in 40 years have had round holes not square.