TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What about the tranny?
BuglyJones Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:16 pm

I read alot of poasts where people have put big baor engines in there bugs. I Know if one is going to race alot the tranny will need to be beefed up or break down will happen. Does a stock transmission have what it takes for an everyday, once-in-while street race against rice, driver?
Just concerned...

Ragman Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:43 pm

For the most part, yes. The tranny will okay....for a while. I have a 1776 w/ a stock tranny in my 63 bug. I beat on it from time to time, and drop the clutch here and there. So far, so good. But, I will not be surprised when it gives out.

JoelH Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:41 pm

it's funny cause I came on to the samba today to ask pretty much the same question. I would like to build a 1915 cause it's the biggest you can build out of 3 engines 1776, 1835, 1915 which all pretty much cost the same. I don't have the cash to build up my tranny so that I can be SO sure that it won't give on me. I plan on doing the same though. driving it a little bit and beating a ricer once in awhile if the occasion happens. I have a '68 tranny that I'll be using. If I were to get it gone through and I put a steel fork and a few new parts into it, plus a heavy duty clutch and stuff, will it be ok as long as I'm not going to the drag strip every day?

thanks guys,
Joel

UncleBob Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:56 pm

It depends entirely on how you drive it. You can break a tranny with a 1600cc if you drop the clutch all the time, and shift hard.

The stock 67 Swingaxle has lived in front of my 2180cc for a while now. I don't side-step the clutch and have a stock disk with a Kennedy Stage-1 pressure plate to allow some slippage. I do shift pretty hard sometimes.

But I'm sure I could make the tranny last forever if I babied it. But what fun is that??