TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: brake hose question
type2much Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:52 pm

on the flexible rubber brake hoses, what happens to them when they get old and constricted? I have a rear one that has good flexible rubber, looks great no cracks but I can't blow any air through it with my compressor. Do they swell up inside or what. This is a bus that didn't get used for about 10 years. I also can not push the brake pedal down, it won't budge, is it because of the flexible hoses or does that have something to do with the master cylinder? If the bus is in regular use does this constriction, or blockage not happen? just curious, thanks!

Bill-E-BoB Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:32 pm

If your pedal won't move, you've probably got a blockage somewhere thats keeping the fluid from moving. Loosen each bleeder screw one at a time & see if you can push the pedal. If you can, thats not the wheel thats a problem. When you find the wheel that still won't let you pump the pedal even with the bleeder screw loose, thats the one thats got a restriction somewhere. On my bus it was the bleeder screw itself & 49 cents later it worked fine. Of course, I had leaky wheel cylinders and decided to replace all 6 cylinders and the master and the rubber lines anyway...but thats a whole 'nother story. Once you find the wheel thats doin' it, check the easy stuff first...bleeder screws, rubber lines, wheel cylinders, steel lines, if none of them are a problem I'd say go ahead & get a new MC.

Since you can't blow air through one of your rubber hoses, that may be the only problem with your pedal. Does it move when that hose isn't attached? (put an empty beer bottle down there to catch the fluid squirting out though when you check :) )

mintonman Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:39 pm

I would say the lines are colapsed inside & if the bus has been sitting for 10years, you should really redo the whole brake system. New rubber lines, rebuild or get new wheel cylinders, rebuild or get a new master cylinder, clean all metal lines & of course change the fluid.
Asfar as the lines going bad while in use, I would have to say, I don't think they would colapse. I think they colapse due to not being used, but not 100% sure. Hope that helps alittle.................james

Miguel Arroyo Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:05 pm

Last year I converted my bug to 4 wheel disc brake. I replaced everything except the hard lines. Even though I am using synthetic brake fluid (DOT 5) I will drain and fill every two years. Question: How long do the soft brake lines last? Assume the car is driven 20,000 miles a year. Thanks.

type2much Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:13 pm

even with both rear hoses off the pedal still won't budge, I'll take off the fronts tomorrow one at a time and see when the pedal starts moving. brake fluid doesn't ever solidify does it?

mintonman Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:19 pm

could be the master is shot. I would take it apart & see if it looks rebuildable