TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My rusty daily driver, what do you think? (pictures) Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
sovereignsamba Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:55 pm

I bought the car in San Fransisco worked on it for 4-5 months, & it's been my daily driver for about a year.

When I got it the car was a rusty mess, i've repaired the body structuraly but I plan to keep the OG poppy red. I'm restoring an oil bath air cleaner & looking for German cooling tin to paint white & replace the ugly chrome. Also looking for some repo BRMs & a vintage roof rack. I'm also building a old speed 1200. Which will be done as soon as I can afford some zeniths.

oc63rag Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:04 pm

Cool car. I'd love to find a clean Beetle in og paint. Keep posting pics on the progress.

gt1953 Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:10 pm

Get an oil bath air cleaner to save your engine.

sovereignsamba Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:14 pm

gt1953 wrote: Get an oil bath air cleaner to save your engine.

Did you read what I wrote? I've already got the oil bath. :!:

vwdub04 Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:47 pm

What is so special about an oil bath air filter.
Two mechanics that have over twenty years of experiece say different and one of them is a family member. So for me a bath is restrictive-let your carb have so air people.

orangebug60guy Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:52 pm

whats the difference between an oil bath and not an oil bath? do you need to change the oil in an oil bath. i've never checked mine. what do i do if its dry?

Ghia Nut Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:05 pm

ummm, I wanted zeniths for a while but I found out that they cause backfireing and are super hard to tune.

Like the car

emersonbiggins Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:06 pm

Looks good so far. I'm a black tin and tank man myself.

sovereignsamba Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:22 pm

emersonbiggins wrote: Looks good so far. I'm a black tin and tank man myself.

Most people seem are, i just wondered what it would look like if I did the opposite. I really like how the tank turned out.

emersonbiggins Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:35 pm

I'm no purest. I believe people should do what they like to their own cars.

Have you read other thoughts on oil bath air cleaners.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=97275&highlight=

Mike J. Goode Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:38 pm

Cool car dude. I love mint bugs but theres nothing like the ones that earn their keep.

lesterplimpton64 Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:41 pm

Very cool car, looks great.

bill may Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:00 pm

are either one of them an air cooled technition from a vw dealership as i was??? i also have associates degree in automotive technology and 40 years (same as those two combined) and they are WRONG!! i have a tendecy to believe they have never served at a vw dealership apprenticeship for vw aircooled technition. and i believe you also live in or near san diego.

ScrapJunkie Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:18 am

bill may wrote: are either one of them an air cooled technition from a vw dealership as i was??? i also have associates degree in automotive technology and 40 years (same as those two combined) and they are WRONG!! i have a tendecy to believe they have never served at a vw dealership apprenticeship for vw aircooled technition. and i believe you also live in or near san diego.

Fucking get over yourself Bill. Quit stroking it to your goddamned patch. Nobody cares to hear that story every time you make a fucking post. Yes, you have great advice, but damn, that gets annoying.

69calibug Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:26 am

Nice car, the rusty patina-ed look is the coolest in my opinion :twisted:

tom c Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:23 am

Hey Shane Red , my daily driver is a 63 . I have a '72 sp engine . My car looks very much like yours . Mine appears to have a few more wrinkles & dents in the fenders than yours . In going to put some headlite eyebrows , a roof rack & a set of five-spokes on mine & ride . :D :D :D

Miguel Arroyo Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:40 am

orangebug60guy wrote: whats the difference between an oil bath and not an oil bath? do you need to change the oil in an oil bath. i've never checked mine. what do i do if its dry?

You should change the oil at least every 6,000 miles or 3,000 miles on dusty conditions. When you open the filter there should be a line to fill too. Good luck.

Miguel Arroyo Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:46 am

[quote="shane red"] i've repaired the body structuraly but I plan to keep the OG poppy red. quote]

I think it looks great, and it is refreshing you are keeping the original paint. If you want to increase the contrast use clay bar after you wash it and then wax it. The diference between the paint and the primered areas will be very noticable. Good luck.

vw66 Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:46 am

Love the car, looks great just like it is!
Tim

broke62' Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:49 am

Germanpride wrote: bill may wrote: are either one of them an air cooled technition from a vw dealership as i was??? i also have associates degree in automotive technology and 40 years (same as those two combined) and they are WRONG!! i have a tendecy to believe they have never served at a vw dealership apprenticeship for vw aircooled technition. and i believe you also live in or near san diego.

Fucking get over yourself Bill. Quit stroking it to your goddamned patch. Nobody cares to hear that story every time you make a fucking post. Yes, you have great advice, but damn, that gets annoying.

lol .... BILL ... u still my friend ... :roll: