TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: While were on the subject..... Page: 1, 2  Next
langsmer Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:14 pm

..... do any of you guys have a decent used engine for about 600 clams? I really need to get my bus running before I get my licence, and the water pump thing isent going to work out :? .So, any offers?

vwjosh6070 Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:57 pm

i have a friend down the road from me with lots of motors. they need rebuilt, but he said he would rebuild one, and sell it for cheap. where you at?

langsmer Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:23 pm

I'm in Grand Junction colorado, wich is a ways away from the south, but I might still be interested.Does he have a decent rebuilt 1600?If he doesnt have an ok complete engine, I could use a rebuilt long block.I would prefer a complete engine, but that is sort of asking alot from my budget :?. Whats he got? :-k

vwjosh6070 Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:29 pm

he told me he would let a running, rebuilt 1600 go for about $150-$200 bucks, but he said it would take god knows how long to do as he has about 6 other vw's to work on, plus his job and family. they just sit in his garage, lol. OR, i could pick the motor up and rebuild it for you. im sure he would let a motor go as is for pretty darn cheap, and i have rebuilt a few motors in my little over a year of type 1 motor doo dads. lemmie know what you wanna do.

langsmer Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:45 pm

That might sound good seeing as my shop (garden shed) is pretty freaking cold to rebuild my burnt out long block in, and I dont have much time.(I will probley just rebuild it in the summer for a backup engine)I do, however have most of the parts that I need to make a complete engine out of a long block.That I can do in my bus with an electric heater to keep from freezing to death :? .So how much do you think you would carge for a rebuilt long block?

vwjosh6070 Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:48 pm

you got a PM

langsmer Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:24 pm

and you also

TeamSpatula Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:31 am

vwjosh67 wrote: he told me he would let a running, rebuilt 1600 go for about $150-$200 bucks,
Longblock? I'm just wondering what's involved in that rebuild? I had over $1500 in the last motor I built, although granted I did use a lot of new stuff...still, that seems ridiculously cheap...

Enkiel Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:22 am

teamspatula wrote: vwjosh67 wrote: he told me he would let a running, rebuilt 1600 go for about $150-$200 bucks,
Longblock? I'm just wondering what's involved in that rebuild? I had over $1500 in the last motor I built, although granted I did use a lot of new stuff...still, that seems ridiculously cheap...

remember ; you get what you pay for ;)

langsmer Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:25 am

enkiel wrote: teamspatula wrote: vwjosh67 wrote: he told me he would let a running, rebuilt 1600 go for about $150-$200 bucks,

remember ; you get what you pay for ;)

Ya the first one seems outlandishly cheap.That sounds like I would get some crusty old mystery motor for that price, mabey with a new set of rings or somthing :? .i think I will stay away from that one.Josh has sent me some numbers of his own that seem pretty reasonable.I might just go with him :-k .

Bill-E-BoB Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:22 pm

Josh, if you build it for him let me come over & be your tool gopher or somethin' so I can learn how to do these VW motors. Surely sometime in the future I'll be happy to acquire that knowledge. :)

vwjosh6070 Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:04 pm

Quote: Longblock? I'm just wondering what's involved in that rebuild? I had over $1500 in the last motor I built, although granted I did use a lot of new stuff...still, that seems ridiculously cheap...

no, its a full rebuild. the guy and his son have been into vw's for years and years. they rebuild all of their stuff, and have been running their motors for years. they are just really nice people who are willing to go out on a linb for a fellow vee dubber. they GAVE me a BRAND SPANKIN NEW set of 1600 single port heads that are still runnin strong after thousands of miles, and me learning how to drive a stick shift!

Bill, i was actually thinking about asking you if you wanted to come over and help out if i do end up doing this.

langsmer Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:02 pm

Wow! thats a pretty good deal! Sounds like a pretty nice guy!

vwjosh6070 Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:02 pm

yeah, lol. they are really great people! they even took me to my firs vw show, my first ride in a bug, and helped me with my first rebuild! and they honestly didnt want a single cent, just help when they needed it.

langsmer Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:36 pm

wish I lived by them :?

AndrewM Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:54 pm

Hey Langsmer
The best way to get a cheap running motor for your bus would be to pick up a local trader paper for your area. Look for a running-driving super beetle for $500 or so. I see them listed in my local trader paper all the time. The ads usually read like "73 super beetle, needs restoring, some rust. runs and drives strong" Go check the car out. The best part about one like that is that you can actually drive the car and get a feel for the motor. Don't let them know what you are planning to do as some folks might not sell you the car if you are gonna scrap it.
Anyway, strike a deal, get the car, pull the motor (and any other parts you can sell) then sell what's left to the crusher for $50

vwjosh6070 Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:39 pm

andrewm you are a very evil person! :evil:

langsmer Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:27 pm

I have been looking.VW's are few and far between here.i will keep on looking though. Josh, its not that bad if its a fatty!

Andrew Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:15 pm

vwjosh67 wrote: andrewm you are a very evil person! :evil:

What else would you do with a stuper?

AndrewM Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:40 pm

Hey Andrew,
You've hung with me at The High Country Bus Fest and MVWE xmas. You know how evil I am.
Don't get me within 10 feet of a sawzall and a super beetle, a cigarette lighter and a "pouty crying kid" car show doll, or a hammer and a cat!