TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: what safari seals are the best?
rico Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:17 pm

I just bought a set of OG safari's. I got them painted and they are ready to go in, but the outer seals are giving me problems. The ones I bought I believe were west coast metric ones. Are there seals out there that fit better than this? These are not that good. Any tips would be helpful, thanks

lonslo Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:32 pm

None of them! They all leak.

obus Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:42 pm

use the search button and you will find that everyone has a different opinion. i think when all is said and done, they all supposedly leak! bring towels and use vaseline in between and yada yada yada. good luck!

rico Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:52 pm

What is the point of spending the big bucks to buy OG's then? If they all leak, then buy the cheaper ones and save some money. what are the advantages of having the OG safari's? maybe I'll sell 'em

obus Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:57 pm

IMHO, if i had a dead on 100% OG bus than i would keep the OG safaris. if not i would go w/ aftermarket and sell the OG's to use the scratch on other things the bus may need. of course, it is my opinion!

langsmer Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:29 pm

Not many people can say they have OG safaris though, Just my little nuget of thought.

WideFive Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:48 am

I'm runnng Wolfgang seals on my Izzy Safari's. They only leak in a big down pour. I think it has more to do with mounting your frames, being centered and at the right depth.

Not that if they leaked too bad I'd be bitching. Hell, I get more water in through the floor and vent windows than the Safari's

DaveM Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:11 am

I'll trade anyone my new set of aftermarket seals and $100 for an nos set... or just plain cash.

chopped50ford Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:13 am

I just put a set of Wolfgang Safaris in my 66 and they fit nice and tight. I and my friends were impressed. Visually it looked like they made some changes (for the better) by the way they fit from thier old style.

I have had some discussion (off-forum) about Safaris in general and it was determined they all leak. The only seal was the original factory seal that sealed them nicely. the Pinch welt works, but the sponge seal is not "long term" flexible. Kind of like if you put a book on a wrinkled leaf for a while, it becomes flat like paper... :)

The problem is, the rubber/sponge that is used flattens out and become useless to seal because of all of the pressure from the windows being closed. If you change them (seals) monthly, im sure you would have no leaks. The rubber used should be more of a rubber substance, so the shape can expand back to original size everytime you open the windows.

Just my 2 cents.

TimGud Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:43 pm

You would think one of the aftermarket suppliers would try to reproduce safari window seals that are made like the originals. I would spend the extra money for better seals! Bet alot of others would too.

Tribalbus Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:24 pm

TimGud wrote: You would think one of the aftermarket suppliers would try to reproduce safari window seals that are made like the originals. I would spend the extra money for better seals! Bet alot of others would too.

wow.thats the most inteligent thing i heard in a long time!{not being sarcastic}why haven't they,i have $$$$$$$$$ for seals that won't leak and i'm sure they would have a line out the door.i have izzies w/ izzies seals.they aren't too bad.i noticed izzie used a one piece seal instead of the cut to fit style that wolfgang used.i have installed both and they both have their pros/cons.i def. prefer the one piece seal.mine are super old and i need new ones soon.i wonder if he still has them?.........Louis

oh yea and mine are/and yours should be properly installed.check and recheck!don't guess and get a friend to help you....blah blah blah...

kintail Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:22 pm

I have a pair of OG safaris on my '67 Westy. It is all about how you fit them on. There seems to be a delicate balance between breaking glass (too tight) or leaks (too loose). I was told that OG stands less of a chance of breaking glass (better metal, less twist), plus the latches are of superior quality then the repros.

I did obtain a set of NOS safari seals that I just pressure fit with no sealant to the metal window lip. Didn't leak too much but as time progressed they started a bit more...., and I started looking for a newer alternative.

In the end I was recommended and bought a pair of repro seals from Japan that I am much happier with. They seem to have a softer, larger and more crushable hollow "O" cross section then the originals. I have also used sealant on these and the leaks are zero on normal rain fall while driving/ hard downpour leaks minimal.

At rest is a different matter, ....what can you say for a design that drops the front rain gutter contents right on the body/seal/window frame joint?? That happens on the camp site and I just cover the front windows with a sheet of plastic to keep out the small amount that leaks in.

So looking thru the bills, I can't find the source but it cost me $60-$80 US for the Japan seals..... ( And I am still keeping the OG rubber seals as back-up!)

Clara also has used roofing tar between the safari seal and the body, which apparently works well from her posts on the subject.

The whole issue relates to fit, and if you have the stock setup with the adjustment bar and slotted holes that hold the OG windows in then you have something more to tinker with. For those of us that measured like no tomorrow and had once chance to drill the windows in we have less to play with.

Recommend keeping the OG's and play around with trying a different seal or whatever you can do. You will have the same issues as the repros in any event as nobody has said from what I can see that they are any better then the OGs.

rico Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:36 pm

Ya, you are right. This is my first time installing and using safari's. I guess I thought it would be better for the money, but it isn't all that bad. It just sucks if you have stereo equipment in the area where it would leak. I will do my best and see what happens, I know what you are saying though, it is a one shot deal!! drill the hole wrong then you are hooped kinda. Thanks for all the input !!!

VWBobby Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:02 pm

There is a lot of companies that reproduce various style of weatherstripping. If you/we could find a profile that is similar to the VW profile, then it would more than likely be better than what's available. The newer rubber is usually made from EPDM wich doesn't age as fast as normal rubbers.

I have a feeling that if someone used some EPDM closed cell foam that was cut to the shape of a normal seal, they would have pretty good luck keeping them sealed. Closed cell foam doesn't absorb water and is used in anything from seat cushions to weatherstripping. It comes in different firmnesses also.

Here is the foam I'm talking about..
http://www.mcmaster.com/param/asp/psearch.asp?FAM=...1106=43360

I want to get safari's someday, but with all the stories of leaks it has me worried, living in the NW.

Good luck,
-Bobby

rico Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:22 pm

I hear ya Bobby. I grew up in Victoria B.C., which is north of Port Angeles 20miles. It rains a lot. Safaris are just too cool. Every now and then someone says that theirs don't leak,so there is hope!!!I know a guy out here who says he may as well just leave 'em open when he washes his van! That's scary!!

lonslo Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:27 pm

Duct tape works good, too. Just tape it to the outside of the window and no more leaks. When the sun comes out for more than a week tear the tape off and open the windows. 8)