TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Mice or no Mice? Page: 1, 2  Next
Juan Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:25 am

So last month I found what appeared to be mice feces inside my Bug. It wasn't much, most of it was under the front passenger seat.

Then I went to visit family and friends in Argentina for a couple of weeks but, before I left, I put 8 of those glue traps inside the car (one under each seat, one on each of the round openings in the rear kick panels, and the remaining 4 in the front area, near the pedal assemby and stuff, two on each side.

I figured if I caught something, the stench would let me know... I came back from my trip and there's no mice in any of the traps, and the car does not smell bad, in fact it doesn't smell any different than it did before I found the feces. I don't see any damage to the interior either.

What I did find was feces (one tiny piece!) on one of the traps. So I don't know what to think. Everything else leads me to think that there's nothing there, but I'm so confused that I'm not able to tell whether there's feces now than before or not...

So, are there any mice in there or no? Could they have nested inside the car and me not be able to smell it, see it or anything? What about inside the tunnel? Should I try other ways to get rid of them? Maybe it's some other creature other than a mouse? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Miguel Arroyo Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:30 am

I wonder if moth balls would act as a deterrent? I would go to Home Depot or Lowes and read the uses it is intended for. Then I might ask one of the sales person for an alternative.

Is your avatar your car. It looks nice.

Juan Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:34 am

hey thanks for the advice!

yes that's my car. thanks! yours looks great too!

you going to volksblast this year? feb 20th in south miami.

John Miller Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:40 am

Put Bounce fabric softner sheets that you use in the dryer under your front and rear seats. It will keep mice out. If there is a mouse already there it will leave. Change every 2-3 months.

Miguel Arroyo Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:42 am

Juan wrote: hey thanks for the advice!

yes that's my car. thanks! yours looks great too!

you going to volksblast this year? feb 20th in south miami.

Yes I am planning to be there, I even registered already :D

Miguel Arroyo Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:43 am

jmillers55 wrote: Put Bounce fabric softner sheets that you use in the dryer under your front and rear seats. It will keep mice out. If there is a mouse already there it will leave. Change every 2-3 months.

Great tip, and it saves me $$$ on not having to purchase the pine tree "aroma thing".

Juan Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:47 pm

awesome... i will definitely try that... thanks.

could it be that may be it's some other animal? I dunno...

flatfourkings Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:57 pm

little dogs are good at finding things.i always make my dog go after mice if i think i know where they are.youll notice them sniff an area more than the other spots and thats where they are. if you dont have one go steal one.they should be mean and like to kill. :twisted:

abbiedolphin Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:39 pm

If you have a critter living IN the seat itself, it may "deposit" droppings on the trap without actually stepping on it...

OiOiOi Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:02 pm

Get have a heart traps. Set them up around the car and put some rice in the back of the trap, when the mouse walks in they close, then just take the mouse into the woods or far away from your house and let it go.

KantDriveFast Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:40 pm

Use old fasioned snap traps with peanut butter/cheese whiz whatever...you'll probably hear results before you walk away...Something about the seat padding in vws...mice love it.

gt1953 Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:55 pm

Watch out for hanta virus with the mice.

Juan Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:22 am

I dont know... I'm doubting the presence of anything in there at this point... kinda looks like they were there but not anymore... unless they are smart enough to not step on the glue traps... who knows.

undwirtanzten Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:18 am

an easy way to keep mice out of your car is to use cedar. i can't validate the bounce sheets, but it seems logical....regardless, cedar wood has a natural poison in it that keeps insects and small animals away. geraniums work too...but i can't think of any practical way of working rows of geraniums into your car's decor.....

ScrapJunkie Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:27 am

undwirtanzten wrote: an easy way to keep mice out of your car is to use cedar. i can't validate the bounce sheets, but it seems logical....regardless, cedar wood has a natural poison in it that keeps insects and small animals away. geraniums work too...but i can't think of any practical way of working rows of geraniums into your car's decor.....

Blumenvasen!

OiOiOi Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:16 am

Mice and rats are extremly intelligent animals and can escape traps pretty easily. But any kind of trap is completely new and forign to them, I prefer have a heart traps because you aren't commiting any murder, and still getting you car rodent-free :D

OiOiOi Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:16 am

Mice and rats are extremly intelligent animals and can escape traps pretty easily. But any kind of trap is completely new and forign to them, I prefer have a heart traps because you aren't commiting any murder, and still getting you car rodent-free :D

Air-Cooled Head Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:02 am

flatfourkings wrote: i always make my dog go after mice if i think i know where they are.they should be mean and like to kill. :twisted:

I thought that's what cats were all about?!? :D

Air-Cooled Head Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:03 am

flatfourkings wrote: i always make my dog go after mice
they should be mean and like to kill. :twisted:

Dog? I thought that's what cats were all about :!: :lol:

OR-Buggy Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:38 pm

just use the snap traps and put some peanut butter on them and they will work, just watch out for your hands.