TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How structural is the rear package shelf
GearheadJim Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:22 am

With the Notchback in the garage for the winter I'm working on some projects. I'm planning to replace all my glass seals to fix some water leaking problems and when I pulled the trim panel off the rear package shelf I discovered a bigger problem then I expected. Apparently the rear glass has been leaking for some time and the small area below the rear window and much of the package shelf are rusted: surface rust all over, several spots where it's rusted through. The lip where the top of the back seat mounts and the metal up to 4" in front of that lib are still solid.

I'm now debating how to fix these problems. I'll plan to replace the metal that runs under the back window but I'm wondering what to do about the package shelf. I'm not a full purist so strict authenticity is not an issue and I don't plan to sell the Notch before I die so resale value is not an issue. I had already planned to use the package shelf for speaker installation: two 4.5" (or was it 6") round speakers on the sides and one 10" subwoofer in the middle. I'm thinking that I'll just cut out the rusted center section leaving as much good metal around the perimeter as I can. Then I'll replace the center section with new, similar gauge metal with speaker holes precut before the installation (no sense in finding a replacement original section if I'm just going to cut speaker holes in it).

Any feedback on concerns regarding structural integrity?

Anyone else who's dealt with the same rear window base rust problems have any tips?

notchboy Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:03 pm

There are many a notchback on the road now with multiple holes cut back there for speakers. I dont think it makes much differance structuraly.

Bobnotch Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:52 pm

Agreed, it's not really a structural member. Mine was pretty gone when I first got it. The lip for the rear window (at the bottom) was almost completely rusted off. :shock: There were already speaker holes carved in it, and it was rusted along both "C" posts where it attached to them (the inner "C" posts were rusted out too). I think your plan of attack will work fine Jim, just not sure if there is room for a 10 inch speaker. :D I have a pair of 6 by 9's in mine now. I literally had to rebuild the shelf just to turn around and cut it up. :shock: :D