TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What's the deal with this?
onelowzuki Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:56 am

Ok, Got a stock dualport, stock dizzy(single vacum) with 34 pict 3 carb (german, good throttle shaft) replaced all the intake gaskets again, rebuilt the carb and I am 100% sure there are no vacum leaks. I am able to adjust the carb somewhat, It will Idle at 1300 RPMs all day long, will Idle at 1100 for about 5 minutes then shut off, the soliniod is good, bottom screw is 3 turns out the top one is 1/2 way out. I can't get it to do any better then this. It has wonderful power and drives excellent, but should it be idling this high? Any advice on what to do? From every thing I have read it should be around 900 RPM but it won't even get that low. Will it hurt to keep it at 1300 RPMs? Does the screw on the bottom need turned out more?
Any and all advice is needed at this point

UncleBob Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:03 am

How are you adjusting for idle?

TeamSpatula Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:25 am

How is the timing set? Is it set at idle or at full advance?

onelowzuki Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:25 am

I started by setting the carb 2 1/2 turns on the little screw, 1/2 way out on the large one, the screw on the choke cam touching plus 1/2 a turn. I fired it up and it wouldn't idle (engine warm) added a 1/4 a turn out to the small screw and it idles at 1500. adjusted the large screw till the idle dropped to where it is at now. I then wrote down the settings I had then(how many turns etc. The I adjusted in every possible combination but was never able to do better, I never went past 4 turns out on the little screw never less then 2 though, the large screw I had almost all the way in and almost all the way out.
What I would do is add or subtract 1/2 a turn on the little screw, the use the full range of the large one to see if it ever improved. and it never did.
Does this make any sense

onelowzuki Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:28 am

I am not sure about the timing, local vw mechanic (not so local, about 50 miles from me) set the timing, he also drag races them here on the east coast so I assume he knew what he was doing. But he went on vacation for 2 weeks also. Does it sound like a timing issue? I don't have a timing light though

gophercat Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:58 am

With the engine warmed up the fast idle adjuster should only be set at a 1/4 turn in after touching on the last step on the choke, not a 1/2 turn in after touching.