TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Anyone see the show on speed channel??
mintonman Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:23 pm

Anyone see the show on the speed channel the other night?? A friend told me about it, how it was mainly about the bus & The reson it was made. He also told me somthing about vw giving its employees busses & taking a small part of their check every payday to pay for it. There was a show on after it about auto advertising & here vw basically had the best adds & other manufacturers looked to them for ideas. They also showed some early commecials. Sounded pretty cool, I guess I'm gonna have to wait for the repeat

DaveB Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:50 pm

Know the name of it?

mintonman Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:55 pm

No, but it's a show with some Italian guy that usaully takes classic exotic sports cars out for test rides on twisty turny roads & then drescibes the history of the car & stuff

DaveB Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:57 pm

It was Fifht Gears greatest cars show. They showed a Bus for about 4 minutes, and did talk about a little over that. Then it was a show about car commercials. If I remeber correctly they showed the one were the Snowplow drivers gets to work in VW Beetle.

It aired this past Wednesday according to the Speed Channel website. I saw it back in Oct 04.

mintonman Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:05 pm

Christ!, He made it sound like the whole show was about busses. What a dumbass! He did tell me about that commercial, sounded pretty funny. Thanks for the info on it. Now I know what to look for....................james

ScrapJunkie Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:10 pm

j.minton wrote: No, but it's a show with some Italian guy that usaully takes classic exotic sports cars out for test rides on twisty turny roads & then drescibes the history of the car & stuff

That sounds like "Victory By Design" to me.

zendude Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:16 pm

I caught the last couple minutes of it and I was shocked to see such positive public recognition of a VW bus..

Buckly Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:18 pm

I saw a show last night about the new concept van. It kept flashing to a nice split camper in the back ground. It was on the speed channel, but I didn't see the name of the show.

Rocknrod Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:23 pm

Fifth gears top 10 cars or something...

They had the mustang, the jag XKE, an audi, a Lancia, a french something or other... mclaren and a bunch of others.

8)

AndrewM Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:04 pm

I caught the last half of the show on the speed chanel. It was top 10 cars of all times or something like that. It was ok. Didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know. I really don't think VW buses need anymore help to become "trendy" in the UK. If they do, we are just going to lose more from the US.
I do disagree with the show format somewhat. I mean, top 10 cars? I know they are going for an all around type thing, but to have VW and then Mcleran???? To me that is apples and oranges.
Maybe the show was top ten "coolest" cars of all time or something, in which case both cars would apply..?? I wasn't really paying all that much attention and I was pretty drunk at the time.

Buckly Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:08 pm

gotta love the night time libations

dstefun Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:45 pm

Here's the official titles - but they're not on the schedule again for Jan or Feb... :sad:

You can look em up here
http://www.speedtv.com/schedule/index.php?timezone=0&d=12&ts=1105506000&week=&wholeMonth=&usecal=no

Autorotica: Fifth Gear's Greatest Cars in the World
From the Rolls Royce to the Ferrari, the special provides test drives and background information on the cars that have survived years of changes in the automotive industry.

Autorotica: TV's Best Car Commercials
From the producers of American Muscle Car comes this fond look back at the most memorable automotive television advertisements of all time.

Was this one of the ads on the show?