TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Starteer push button switch
luis Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:55 pm

I have a stock igition, and want to install a push button switch to start the car. Does anyone know what wires need to be conncected at the ignition switch for a push button starter switch?

Glenn Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:57 pm

Why?

OK... you need a keyed positive and the wire that runs to the starter.

luis Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:04 pm

Why you ask?

I had one hell of a time and wait to find a set of matching nos door handles and ignition switch. I plan on keeping the car for as long as I can. I never want to switch to go out from turning on the start, so a push button switch will prevent wear on it. Besides I always enjoyed pushing a button under the dash to start her up instead of turning the switch.

RareAir Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:59 pm

Just connect the 12v lead wire into one pole of the switch. The other pole goes to the starter solenoid. You'll still need to insert the key to get a 12v source obviosly

bill may Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:02 pm

more parts = more to go wrong.

Glenn Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:48 pm

luis wrote: Why you ask?

I plan on keeping the car for as long as I can. I never want to switch to go out from turning on the start

I've owned my 74 for 30 years and 465,000 miles. It still has the original ignition switch and I still use the same key.

I doubt you'll wear it out.

DrDarby Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:21 am

I agree. I retired my last daily driver bug at 512,000 miles and it still had the original ignition & key. My '53, '56, both 60's, 63, 65 and 71 all still have the original too. of course the '53 happens to have come stock with a pushbutton starer. I'd be more afraid to start drilling needless holes in a nice old car ! You'll need B+ and the starter solenoid wire is you must do it.

Miguel Arroyo Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:23 am

Just keep the ignition key properly lubricated (I use graphite) and it will probably outlast you :shock: