TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: couple different questions about wires
vee dub dan Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:13 pm

I took some pictures of some wires in my car that i have no clue what they are.

this is on the driver side and i have no clue what it is. it is the one that comes out of the hump and ends about 3 inches later.

same as above except zoomed out

this is on the passenger side. it is longer than the driver side one but the probably the same wire.

same as above except zoomed out

this is right in front of the passenger door.

anyone know what these are, wether i need them???

Thanks in Advanced.

Levonbenelli Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:50 pm

It's kind of hard to tell, But I think what you'r asking about are the heater cables. They pull open your heater flaps. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong. As for the wire hanging off your passenger door, I'll just go ahead and say tear it off, but tug on it and see where it goes first. Good luck.

luis Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:01 pm

The first picture looks more like a tube than a wire, and since its on the drivers side it might be the brake line that runs along the tunnel. Be carful not to cut that line if its the brake line. If its not the brake line it might be a modified metal gas line that runs there also. If you bug is old, and you gave us no clue to what year it is, gas lines can clog and there are many ways of running them on the inside. Again I am saying all of this since the fist picture looks like a tube or metal line to me.

vee dub dan Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:12 pm

luis wrote: The first picture looks more like a tube than a wire, and since its on the drivers side it might be the brake line that runs along the tunnel. Be carful not to cut that line if its the brake line. If its not the brake line it might be a modified metal gas line that runs there also. If you bug is old, and you gave us no clue to what year it is, gas lines can clog and there are many ways of running them on the inside. Again I am saying all of this since the fist picture looks like a tube or metal line to me.

its a 74 standard sry about that i didn't say that but i have it in my signature so i don't worry about it anymore but i probably should.

i think that picture 1 (driver side) and picture 3 (passenger side) are the same wire except the passenger side is longer.

RareAir Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:54 pm

The metal conduits are guides for the heater cables. They are designed with the levers next to the e-brake handle. Each lever & it's corresponding cables will either open or close the heater vents so you can adjust front/rear heat.

Glenn Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:50 pm

The tube in the 2nd picture is the brake line that runs to the rear brakes. The others are heater flap control cables.

All the wires run along the driver's side heater channel.

gerg Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:04 am

Why do the cables come out in front of the seats and angle towards the front of the car?

Bill E. Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:55 pm

There are wire tubes that loop around the front of the floor in front of the pedals and connect to the floor heater vents down by the feet. This happens on both sides. The cables that go to the heaters under the back seat have two cable conections on the arm. One for push-me and one for pull-me(front and back). The other lever betweeen the seats opens the heat exchangers them selves.

Ill bet a good pic would say it all :lol:

gerg Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:06 pm

Wow - so the later model beetles had cable controlled footwell vent covers? Cool.

Glenn Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:12 pm

gblakeney wrote: Wow - so the later model beetles had cable controlled footwell vent covers? Cool.

Just like a "real" car :wink:

plotch Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:48 pm

Have a 75 standard with the same cables and i agree with bill e. The electrical wire is an unknown to me. But what is that black ooze along the tunnel?

Bill E. Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:24 pm

If everything is hooked up right and adjusted, the system should work well with good heat. :lol:

I even make new gaskets out of thin polyproplyne foam where the old foam gaskets are powder.

Here is a ~STF~ thread about it now too.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=83122

And a little pic that shows the cables, but not too clear.

http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/0.heat.cables.htm

The elec wires up by the footwell would be the seatbelt interlay if it were in a different place. I would say a CB or stereo. Follow them?/

The black gooo looks like some kind of wire eatin bacteria excretment :?

vee dub dan Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:51 pm

the black "goo" is like a tar, supposed to reduce noise and reduce the amount of air that comes in the car. why is one of the cables longer than the other???

vee dub dan Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:55 pm

Bill E. wrote: There are wire tubes that loop around the front of the floor in front of the pedals and connect to the floor heater vents down by the feet. This happens on both sides. The cables that go to the heaters under the back seat have two cable conections on the arm. One for push-me and one for pull-me(front and back). The other lever betweeen the seats opens the heat exchangers them selves.

Ill bet a good pic would say it all :lol:

so what do you want me to take a picture of?

Bill E. Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:47 pm

Well Dan it might be that a pic from me or someone else would say it all!

Mine only stick out about an inch out of the tunnel. Yours might be pulled out some?? Someone may have been doin some kickin on that side of the car and got the carpet all up in a bunch :lol:

The sheat makes a loop all the way up to an inch from the gas pedal hinge and they are the same on both sides. It looks like a bicycle brake cable but a little smaller, the cable is a single strand and not braided.

They come off the drivers side lever and split somewhere after that.

vee dub dan Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:09 pm

all right i think i get it thanks

by the way Bill E. your avator looks kinda like my bug

Bill E. Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:39 pm

The yellow bug is my daughters 75 that is converted to carb. She gets her liscense in the middle of feb.

Now I am doin a 74 for myself. It is the ugly light green. Very clean and the engine is done and am workin on the interior this dark season. Thats why I can go out and look cause it is all out of the car.

Any more questions???

Bill E. Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:53 pm

The yellow bug is my daughters 75 that is converted to carb. She gets her liscense in the middle of feb.

Now I am doin a 74 for myself. It is the ugly light green. Very clean and the engine is done and am workin on the interior this dark season. Thats why I can go out and look cause it is all out of the car.

Any more questions???