TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Muffler confusion
Medeco Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:10 pm

Guys,

I am trying to purchase things I know I want or need, and I bought the bugpack dualpack muffler.

I have not begun to do any of this installation/removal yet.

I know this is bare basics for many of you, but I cannot figure out if I will be able to keep or need to keep for that matter my heat exchangers to have heat to the cabin of the car?

I know I need to buy a new header to go with this muffler, but do I also need J-tubes in addition? Or just one or the other?

Please help the confused, and add any tips on additional things to buy for this installation.

Medeco

Russ Wolfe Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:23 pm

If you install J tubes, you will loose your heater. I would get a header that uses the original heater boxes. You don't say what year car you have.
If you do install the header system, don't throw away the amall heat boxes that are attached to the heads at the rear. They are getting hard to find, and if you ever decide to go back to stock exhaust, you will need them. Or you can sell them to someone else that needs them.

Medeco Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:34 pm

I have a 1970 square w the original muffler.

So can you tell if this header will allow me to keep my heat exchangers?

Thanks for the help.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DD%2D2033%2D10

Russ Wolfe Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:10 pm

Medeco wrote: I have a 1970 square w the original muffler.

So can you tell if this header will allow me to keep my heat exchangers?

Thanks for the help.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DD%2D2033%2D10

Yes, that will work with your stock heater boxes. It will require the removal of the small heater boxes that are attached from the rear of the heads, to the stock muffler, by the big hex nut.

notchboy Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:19 pm

Why are you getting a new muffler system? Is your original one worn out?

You will lose the pre heat manifolds by using this type of bugpak header. The pre heaters make a perfect conection between the fan housing and your main heater manifolds. With this after market header and muffler system you will need to use aluminum foil tubing to bend and wrap around from the fan to the main manifolds. It will work and alot of people do it. I personaly think it looks tacky and kinda crapy. Some people even fabricate something better, but you may not have the time or skils to do it. I recomend you purchase one of the NOS VW mufflers and keep your system OEM. Nothing beats a correct muffler setup. :wink:

Just like this one, imagine that!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=139577

Medeco Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:45 pm

Notchboy,

Thanks for the info.

But, I was looking for info on my question about the dual pack muffler.

To answer you, I did ponder the OEM muffler and decided not to go that way on the exhaust. The majority of the engine and car will be OEM or close.

I just like the Dual QP.

Thanks
Medeco

notchboy Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:28 pm

Be prepaired to use the aluminum flex hose. You will need to bend up your rear lower metal piece to clear the dual mufflers and wotch out for the Y connection in the mufflers cracking from wear if they are not secure to the header. Other than that they sound cool. \:D/