TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 6v vs. 12v T3 engine tins
localboy Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:10 pm

Dumb question of the week. Someone offered me a free older (carbed) T3 engine that was sitting in their back yard for 10+ years. It's pretty trashed. I am obviously not going to use the motor itself but thought the tins, fans, oil cooler etc would be good to hold on to. The guy told me it's from a 6 volt car and so there are differences :?: from the 12 volt tins. What are the diffences? Thanx for any help.

Tram Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:31 pm

The two differences I can think of right off the bat is that the 12v Type 3s are dual port, while the 6vs are single port, and the 6v and 12v generators are different diametres, which means that the fan housings are different where the generator sits.

localboy Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:40 pm

[email protected] wrote: The two differences I can think of right off the bat is that the 12v Type 3s are dual port, while the 6vs are single port.

I knew the heads/manifolds were different: dual vs. single. But as a result is the openings in the tins different. I haven'e seen the motor yet...

Tram Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:21 pm

localboymark wrote: [email protected] wrote: The two differences I can think of right off the bat is that the 12v Type 3s are dual port, while the 6vs are single port.

I knew the heads/manifolds were different: dual vs. single. But as a result is the openings in the tins different. I haven'e seen the motor yet...

Yes. the tins are different. That's why I mentioned it. I guess I should have been a little more clear. Sorry! :oops:

localboy Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:57 pm

[/quote] I guess I should have been a little more clear. Sorry! :oops:[/quote]

PLEASE don't apologize! :cry: I was just clarifying...for all it's good, the written word takes the "humanness" out of communication...Thanks for the help...