TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: shocks for lowered
aussie01 Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:53 pm

My '67 sqbk has some rubbing issues with my 5 spokes running 195/60/15 tires. My rear shocks are pretty old and tired so i'm going to replace them with some KYB ajsut-a-shocks. Is this the kind I need or is there a different size for the job?

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=KYB%2DKG5529

thanks,
Mick

Russ Wolfe Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:15 pm

Shock adsorbers won't raise the back of the car, by themselves. Not unless they are coil overs, or air shocks. The adjustable part just controls the rate at which they operate.
The only way to correct rubbing. is to correct the tire size, modify the body, or adjust the rim offset.

aussie01 Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:26 pm

my rubbing issue is when cornering at speed with body roll, thus I was thinking fresh shocks might help. I currently have 5 spokes, I do like the look, but I'm not adverse to changing. What rim would have a better offset?? I'm a little reluctant to try a diffenet tyre size as it's an expensive experiment, and my 195's still have lots of life in 'em.

GearheadJim Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:13 am

I'm running the white KYB gas shocks on the rear and I like them. A common method to get wider tires to fit in the rear of your T3 is to replace the axles and axle tubes with "short" axles from an early 60's bug. The difference in the length is between the spring plate and the backing plate, I believe you gain between .5" and 1". Do a search for "short axle" and you should find the topic discussed in detail with all the parts you'll need for the swap.

blankmange Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:34 am

How about a sway bar? That should tighten up the suspension, especially since you only have the rubbing issue at speed in corners...