TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: how much for a full restoration ground up, 60's convertible Page: 1, 2  Next
hsosa1 Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:59 pm

Doe anyone have an idea of what it would run for a full restoration pan up. 1960 s convertible type1 lets say the car is rust free,minor body damage,complete not missing any "hard to find" parts. Pan powder coated, repaint, complete interior, engine stock . Please be realistic as p ossible. Thanks

Glenn Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:04 pm

10s of thousands.

It's pretty much impossible to give a realistic number. Too many variables.

hsosa1 Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:08 pm

lets say the car is complete. all parts are there.
restoration of pan all drivetrain, redone tranny,
new paint and body lets say repaired one quarter panel and minor bodywork.
complete new eletrical wiring
complete interior and top.
engine is complete just needs some fine tuning.

Glenn Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:13 pm

Well... my 74 was complete.

It took over 300 hours to get just the body fixed, straight and painted. If you get a body shop that charges $50/hr, that comes to $15,000 just for body work.

Then add interior, stripping and detailing the pan, rebuilding the engine and tranny. Like I said... many 10s of thousands.

hsosa1 Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:19 pm

great work . does 19k sound reasonable? lets break it down $4k for chasis $4K for paint $11k for interior,electrical,engine,top,seal,chrome,labor. would it be worth it. if you can buy a running car for less? or still need to pony up more on the running car?

Glenn Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:21 pm

Generally you can buy a complete car for less than it costs you to have one built.

oc63rag Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:23 pm

I've seen some very, very clean pre '67 convertibles go for around $10K. These were probably not show car quality but very nice and driveable. From what I've seen it's always going to be more expensive to build one than to buy one completed. Do a search here in the classifieds and you'll get a good idea.

Glenn Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:29 pm

Here's a 59 for $30,000

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=133895

hsosa1 Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:32 pm

thanks. i was looking for show quality and there arent very many around. Converts are getting tougher to find. they are still around just have to travel farther. so 25k+ for show quality

Glenn Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:33 pm

Build a driver.

You can buy alot of trophies for $25,000.

hsosa1 Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:42 pm

I agree with you. on the driver. Converts are bling.

Bklyn63 Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:33 pm

red ropes are for Banks.

drive the car. if it gets chipped..paint it again. or better yet learn to paint and do it yourself. very rewarding experience.

RareAir Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:49 pm

I'm having my 56 vert restored at Convertible World in Long Beach, CA The car was imported from Sweden and is 100% complete, even one of the semaphores is NOS. The car was in running driving condition when it was brought in.
Julio has done a few cars for me in the recent past, so keep in mind the prices below are reflective of 20-40% in savings due to multiple restorations.

Pan halves replaced & entire pan powdercoated $1000
heater & reinforment rails replaced $1500
body & paint $4000
new top (powdercoat frame, new wood, headliner & Haartz cover) $1750
complete brake overhaul & replacement $300
leather int & squareweave carpets $2500

Of course I still need to rechrome everything ($3-5k), new tires ($450) and the countless weatherstripping from Wolfsburg West ($2k+)

So a complete restoration can easily top $30k+ and that's BEFORE any of the cool accessories get added in. If you'd like to see progress of the car, look in the gallery section under RareAir as the submitter.

rusty57 Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:06 pm

I bought my 66 Saturday for Just over 2 grand. I got it started today, but the engine could use a rebuilt. Around here i just got quoted $500 for the rebuilt, $170 per pan to replace and around $600 for a new canvas top, pads and headliner. I got mine pretty complete and recently painted. I spend a few bucks replacing the side trim and the horn grilles. I bought a few other little things. I will have a complete, rust free 66 for just about $3500. Give or take a few bucks. Good deals are out there. You just have to find them.

HotRodedXXX Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:23 pm

I stopped saving reciepts at about 10k. That was about a year ago :shock:

Kris Styes Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:08 pm

This is an auction item for a Type 1 that was recently on e-bay:

See:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...egory=6019

The seller ended the auction early. Guess who purchased it for 13k?

Kris (Kansas)

RareAir Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:40 pm

Kris Styes wrote: The seller ended the auction early. Guess who purchased it for 13k?

Was it a guy named kris from Kansas

Miguel Arroyo Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:53 pm

When I did my 70 Beetle it only needed minor body work on the passanger side fender then it was painted. On the chassis rebuilt front end, both pan halves and the luggage tray was replaced. Engine and transmission were fine so no work outside of a tuneup, and new clutch/plate was needed. I did go 4 wheel disc brake and replaced the original A/C with one from Gilmore Enterprise. Full interior redone.

Cost +/-$22,500 including the price of the car.

tacky Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:35 pm

the answer my friend is blowing in the wind..... the answer is blowing in the wind.

huh huh hhhh huh hhuh.... i said blowing........

ScrapJunkie Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:04 pm

[email protected] wrote: Kris Styes wrote: The seller ended the auction early. Guess who purchased it for 13k?

Was it a guy named kris from Kansas

Please tell me yes! :shock: