TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: i need upclose pisctures of your engines! Page: 1, 2  Next
deluxekombi67 Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:24 pm

im trying to wire up my motor i took out when i replaced my gas tank and cant figure where they go. i looked at the wiring diagram on vintagebus.com and really cant make heads or tails of it from my wires...a picture is worth a thousand words so please help! up close of the coil and alt/gen would be the best...THANKS in advance

mintonman Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:15 pm

The only problem with what your asking, is alot of vw's have been altered alittle & my have different wires. Do you have an altanator or a genarator? Do you have an electric choke?? do you have a cutoff thing on your carb?? It would probably be easier if you told us what you have for wires(how many)? How many thick wires & how many thin wires??, or post a picture of what your looking at...................james

VWBobby Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:22 pm

I agree... it would be easier if you posted a pic of what YOU have so we can tell you wich wires go where...too many variables through the years.

vwtony2 Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:47 pm

trace your wires and mark where they came from.. then look at any aricooled vw book (for your year) and it will tell you where to put them.. they all should be pretty straight foward where they go... EXCEPT the coil wires, those are easy to "accedently" switch, good luck and I know I probally dont need to say it but before I pull any engine or wires I ALWAYS draw my own buleprint of where the wires came off of only because I have been in your shoes TWICE!!!! :oops:

TeamSpatula Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:17 am

but I don't know how much that will help...

Bongo Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:25 am

Probably not wired right, but runs good!

Hope it helps

pyrOman Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:04 am

8-[

mintonman Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:01 pm

PyrOman,
I must say "VERY NICE" & "VERY CLEAN" I really like the way you ran your wires. Looks great..............james

Here's my mess :D

Bart Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:10 pm

Here's mine or was mine...

Buckly Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:18 pm

Hey teamspatula, very helpful pic, lol. Theres only a few wires, three go to the genny, one goes to the oil pressure switch, and one or two to the coil.
you guys just want to show off your fancy engines. :lol:

vwspijlbus Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:09 am

Does this help you?

Bongo Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:45 am

Could be right Buckly, I had a word with mine, and he's feeling decidedly underdressed in this company! :D

Buckly Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:56 pm

Here's mine. I hope this helps your engine feel better Bongo.
I just rebuilt this one a few months ago.

pyrOman Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:26 am

j.minton wrote: PyrOman,
I must say "VERY NICE" & "VERY CLEAN" I really like the way you ran your wires. Looks great..............james

Thanks, but that was when the motor was fresh over 3 years ago. Now is pretty much the usual oily mess. Also, all that chromie crap was bought simply because I needed a doghouse and all they had was the chrome one so I got all the tin in chrome. It now has all black tin.

As far as the wiring goes, I run it in a way that is easy to move out of the way when dropping the motor since I do that quite often.

I've built myself a shit pot full of motors and every time I put one together I take a picture of it knowing full well that it'll be the last time it looks so clean. :wink:

WideFive Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:05 am

My turn :D Here's the 2276...

abdon Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:48 am

deluxekombi67, you may want to update your profile and add your location. That's the first thing I looked for to see if you were close by.

Church Key Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:02 pm

Pyro...we will be dining in your engine compartment this evening.

dstefun Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:12 pm

What is so hard about the diagram? Pictures of all the parts and colored wires too!

Are these any easier? Thanks to Speedy Jim....

Coil, carb, dizzy, and backup lights

Gen (ignore the under back seat part, diagram is really for bug)

OG wire to oil pressure sender is blue with green tracer.

fubab Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:20 pm

There're only a few wires.

Blue/green to the oil pressure switch.

Two to the generator - big and small. D+ gets the big (red) one.

Switched hot wire (black) to the coil (#15 terminal).

If you have an electric choke or electromagnetic pilot jet, they also get a switched hot.

oilspot Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:52 am

follow the diagram for the generator wires, make sure they're off to the side or connected. Make sure the ends aren't grounded to any metal anywhere. Turn your igniton on and check to find out which wire is hot, that will go to the + side of your coil. The other most likely bound together with that wire should be your oil sensor hookup. You should then have another wire that goes off that same + side of the coil to your choke, and also to your cutoff valve (little cylider on the side of your carb with a electrical hookup on it, not all carbs have them).
You'll hook your distributor wire to the - side of the coil. If there are two wires comming out of you distributor you have a electronic ignition (pertronix, compufire, etc.). If you have the electronic ignition don't guess, post a pic to make sure you hook it up right!