TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: crazy turnsignals
mscullion Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:36 pm

hooked up my new turn signals in the rear and changed my parking lights to amber trun signal bulbs. now when I click to turn left the blinker clicks real fast but, when I step on the brakes it slows down. my right side clicks at normal speed. :?

my rear blinker bulb was broken so I used a smaller bulb...could that have something to do with it :oops: ?????

Alan Willis Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:43 pm

Are you people serious?! I've answered way too many ?'s today with no common sense! If you have to ask if putting the wrong kind of bulb will affect your blinker's,you should really consider buying a different kind of car,and stop screwing up your vw!

ScrapJunkie Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:16 pm

Alan..take it easy. Go take a nap. 8) Try switching out both of the bulbs for brand-new ones, I had a similar problem in my 65 and this cured it.

RareAir Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:43 pm

mscullion wrote: I used a smaller bulb...could that have something to do with it :oops: ?????

Probably. Many little factors could create the problem you're encountering. Replace all the bulbs so they all have the same wattage value. The relay may be sensing differrent voltage drops across the bulb filament causing the erratic blinking.

DrDarby Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:00 am

LOL ! I have to HIGH FIVE Alan. No discrespect to anyone but I've wanted to say this MANY times !

Marks04 Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:29 am

Your blinker relies on the resistance of the bulb to blink. The blinker will blink at differant rates when electrical resistance changes. A differant bulb may very well have a differant electrical resistance and change the blink frequency.

Mark

bill may Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:34 am

reread what you posted. the answer is there-reread your post. Buy a Bentley.

RareAir Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:36 pm

Marks04 wrote: Your blinker relies on the resistance of the bulb to blink. The blinker will blink at differant rates when electrical resistance changes. A differant bulb may very well have a differant electrical resistance and change the blink frequency.

Mark

Thank you Dr Mark. That was my prognosis as well which I gave earlier