TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: DELLORTO 40mm DRLA Carbs
littlebuggie Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:52 pm

Can I fit DELLORTO 40mm DRLA carbs under my rear lid with short manifolds? Think that Dual 40mm on each side be too much for a 2054cc motor with a 120cam, and 42X37.5 Heads,with over the top exhaust?
What sould I have: 28,30 ,32,34 or 36mm venturis? What are venturis? I live In The Central Valley of CA(Modesto, CA)(NOT NOR-CAL!!)

Erik G Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:00 pm

that's so NorCal lol

yes you can fit them, (BARELY) with the short short manifolds and air cleaners from CB Performance, I've also seen them on ebay. make sure your sparkplugs and wires are in before you install them, because you wont be able to do so very easily after the install

They might be a little small for that motor, but you should be able to get a good result with some jetting work. I'd ask on the CalLook.com forums for jetting advice, At least close enough to get you started and then you'll have to jet up or down

GjMan Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:44 am

If you have to ask what venturis are, you need to get some books and study up before you start wrenching. Bill Fisher's Hot to Hotrod VW Engines is still a good starting point even though it was written decades ago. And later editions of the Idiot Manual have a section on VW performance.

As for 40 Dells on a T3, I've used them and they work well. If memory serves, I used 32mm venturis on a 78.4x90.5 engine with ported 041 heads and Engle 110 cam. Good low- to mid-range setup.

IRS cars are better, as it is relatively easy to drop the engine in its rear mount to get a little more clearance. If you've got a swing axle car with compressed rear sub frame mounts, you probably won't be able to get the air cleaners on. Plug changes are a kinda tough, since there's not a lot of room; a plug socket on a U-joint extension is almost a necessity. You will need to trim those cooling tin pieces which go around the intake manifolds.