TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Trailer out of a Square... Page: 1, 2  Next
blankmange Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:57 am

Just like it sounds - I have purchased a parts car and after I scavenge all the parts off of it, I am thinking of making the rear 2/3s of the car into a neat trailer.

Any suggestions? Anybody ever actually do this before? I have seen a couple of pictures, but no "how-to's" on it...

Mr. Bubblehead Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:09 am

Well, I'm building one, and I'm basically just gonna cut the car in 1/2 with a sawzall, then connect a towbar to it. Check out this one made by the DDB - that's been my inspriation:

http://www.theddb.com/Halfback.html

ChoptopT3 Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:06 am

I share the same concept, the only difference is that I want to remove the roof off the back and keep it open similar to a truck bed.
Then using the roof only by splitting it at the gutter making a cover.
It would appear to me that the rear section is very heavy to tow, I was thinking about removing the original rear irs suspension and using a solid axle similar to a normal trailer just to reduce weight.
ChoptopT3

blankmange Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:00 am

ChoptopT3 wrote: I share the same concept, the only difference is that I want to remove the roof off the back and keep it open similar to a truck bed.
It would appear to me that the rear section is very heavy to tow, I was thinking about removing the original rear irs suspension and using a solid axle similar to a normal trailer just to reduce weight.
ChoptopT3

Weight shouldn't be too much of a problem; I will be stripping out all the running gear and most of the interior, so that will shave quite a bit of weight.

ChoptopT3 Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:55 pm

If you were to keep the entire rear suspension you could still use the e-brake when the trailer is disconnected form the car and sitting there looking cool.
You could have it mounted on the tougue of the trailer.
ChoptopT3

blankmange Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:04 pm

ChoptopT3 wrote: If you were to keep the entire rear suspension you could still use the e-brake when the trailer is disconnected form the car and sitting there looking cool.
ChoptopT3

that's brilliant -- good idea!

Mr. Bubblehead Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:57 pm

ChoptopT3 wrote: If you were to keep the entire rear suspension you could still use the e-brake when the trailer is disconnected form the car and sitting there looking cool.
ChoptopT3

That's exactly what I intend on doing on my trailer.

blankmange Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:21 pm

Mr. Bubblehead wrote: ChoptopT3 wrote: If you were to keep the entire rear suspension you could still use the e-brake when the trailer is disconnected form the car and sitting there looking cool.
ChoptopT3

and the interior? I was spit-balling some ideas on the interior, from a front-hinging door, to sheet-metalling the entire interior...

ChoptopT3 Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:00 pm

The engine bay could be used a storeage area, just need to build a sturdy sheet metal tub to hang below the engine lid. Interior could be simple like a Rhino liner or Line X spray in bed.
ChoptopT3

blankmange Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:29 pm

ChoptopT3 wrote: The engine bay could be used a storeage area, just need to build a sturdy sheet metal tub to hang below the engine lid. Interior could be simple like a Rhino liner or Line X spray in bed.
ChoptopT3

better yet, I was going to use the engine bay as a cooler for picnics/get-togethers, etc...

R.Rabbit Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:55 pm

wrong, wrong, thinking to simplistic here... :wink: use the engine bay (boxed) as a BBQ (charcoal would be easier) :D with the engine cover to put over it when you still want to haul some stuff around. Tailgate hinged on the side for easy access and the roof could be modified and hinged at the front to form a hard toneau cover (would have to be sectioned in the middle since it wouldn't be wide enough) with a flip down LDC, oh wait to much Pimp My Ride :wink:

tomnotch Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:57 pm

And with just a bit more ingenuity, one could make the original hyd. rear brakes work as surge brakes............

Mr. Bubblehead wrote: ChoptopT3 wrote: If you were to keep the entire rear suspension you could still use the e-brake when the trailer is disconnected form the car and sitting there looking cool.
ChoptopT3

Bobnotch Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:28 pm

ChoptopT3 wrote: I share the same concept, the only difference is that I want to remove the roof off the back and keep it open similar to a truck bed.

The roof is about 6 inches too narrow to be used as a hard cover. If you add 3 inches to the sides, or split id down the middle and add metal there, then you could use it that way. Just something to think about. :wink:

blankmange Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:12 pm

geez, I was trying to keep this simple... should have known better...:)

Russ Wolfe Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:39 pm

blankmange wrote: geez, I was trying to keep this simple... should have known better...:)

You could leave the engine and trans in it, and operate it by remote control. You can always use some help when in steep mountain passes.

Mr. Bubblehead Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:45 pm

blankmange wrote: and the interior? I was spit-balling some ideas on the interior, from a front-hinging door, to sheet-metalling the entire interior...

I plan on keeping the seat, and turning the engine compartment into a big-ass cooler (maybe even with a keg & tap?)

I'm thinking that it will be fun to lounge around in at shows :wink:

blankmange Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:50 am

Mr. Bubblehead wrote: blankmange wrote: and the interior? I was spit-balling some ideas on the interior, from a front-hinging door, to sheet-metalling the entire interior...

I plan on keeping the seat, and turning the engine compartment into a big-ass cooler (maybe even with a keg & tap?)

I'm thinking that it will be fun to lounge around in at shows :wink:

that's a possibility... how about closing the open end? perhaps a heavy canvas-type tarp with snaps, like you would do for a convertible top cover?

TheDDB Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:05 pm

Too funny all this debate about the "halfbacks".
Yeah we still have ours , it sits out side the shop on display
8)
Since this car was /is IRS we gutted all the hardware under it...Motor ,tranny,brake drums and (I think the shocks too)
Yes we too have had the idea of make the engine bay into a ice chest...this would be real easy just fab a box to hang inside of it , maybe even a few drain holes.

We also have a fastback rear that one day will become a rolling BBQ.

But here is some *maybe* othe rinfo on this conversion..

If you lower it make sure it is not lower than your tow car....
-too much angle-
Put most of the weight towards the front...
and
it may need a "kick stand", as it wants to tip when parked.

Ok thats it on this idea...

Go to it....

Mr. Bubblehead Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:11 pm

TheDDB wrote: ...We also have a fastback rear that one day will become a rolling BBQ...
That's funny, I'm thinking of converting the "front" of my donor car into a BBQ grill!

blankmange Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:53 am

This post has become moot, I am afraid. After picking up the car, I discovered that the seller did not know what he had. This is an original, complete car that is about 2 months away from being a driver. I can't bear to cut it up and will be stripping my fastback and junking it.