TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: stupid seat question Page: 1, 2  Next
onelowzuki Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:17 am

I got low back seats in my 69 (I know they are not the seats originally in it) I have no Idea what year they came from. The upholstery is so shot I can't get an idea what year they are(they use the 69 seat rails in the pan though), but I do want to keep them so how do I order upholstery (TMI) for them? and when I order do I need to specify I have a 69 back seat or will the older year covers be the same?

volks67beetle Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:52 am

There are a few possible options for you but I would suggest posting a pic of the entire seat so we can tell, but if don't have a pic then..... You can usually tell by the top part whether or not it is pointy like or squared. here are my seats.... out of my 67. The upholstery will fit 1965-67 when you order TMI upholstery. However I think the 65 seats may be different than the 66-67. If you have the release handle (to flip the top seat forward) located at the bottom of the seat (near the frame) then the seats are early 67 and older bug style seats. later 67 style got the seat release handle put on the side of the seat located hear the top (like 68 and newer bugs have).

If it has a top that is more square than this you have seats 64/65 and older.

here are my early 67 seats, redone...orignally red in color frame and upholstery. I am redoing my 67 in zenith blue/black interior

by the way, I have since fixed the sagging seat upholstery located at the bottom of the top section. :oops:

DaveM Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:58 am

I have a similar question of which seats I have...

bill may Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:02 am

without side view? 56-64 need side view to really tell.

onelowzuki Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:04 am

My release handle is towards the top, and the seat top is shaped like yours so I guess I have a later 67 seat. Are the rear seats the same for 67 and 69?

volks67beetle Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:10 am

onelowzuki wrote: My release handle is towards the top, and the seat top is shaped like yours so I guess I have a later 67 seat. Are the rear seats the same for 67 and 69?

Don't quote me on this, but what color luggage strap do you have? The bug went through some major changes after 67 so I want to say the seats are different...will they fit...seats up to 72 in the rear may fit, but honestly I don't know. I know that the seat that came with my bug is out of a 73 or later and it does not fit. I am talking only by a half inch..but doesn't fit means does not fit...ya know. Hopefully someone else will know this.

bill may Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:20 am

i have 67 rear seats if you need them. i will be at drag day march 20th and bugin32 april 10th. i dont have a 69 handy to compare but ask cal-pacific /jbugs and they can tell you for sure if same.68 and newer can be covered with 67 front seat covers by removing the head rest when covers are stripped-this i do know. i also have front 67 /both versions availible.

onelowzuki Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:23 am

the luggage strap is off white(and alot of dirt too :lol: ) I'll just order the set in peices just to be on the safe side, may cost a little more but I don't mind paying for something just to be on the safe side

Alan Willis Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:25 am

Sounds like the PO may have simply "chopped off" the headrests! If thats the case, simply order '67 upholstery

onelowzuki Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:29 am

They wasn't chopped off I don't think, the interior is white but the front seats was black (what was left of them) but the topedge where the headrest whould be looked like it was supposed to be like that, no holes for headrests that I can see

DaveM Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:30 pm

ok, almighty seat gurus... here are some more pictures.

name that year :D

vdubvr6 Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:15 pm

Alan Willis wrote: Sounds like the PO may have simply "chopped off" the headrests! If thats the case, simply order '67 upholstery

are you sure that '67 upholstry will fit a altered high back seat!? i have a '72 and want lowbacks, but am too cheap to buy some, and i was considering "chopping" the highbacks! anyone know of anyone who's done this? how did it turn out and any pics would be nice too! thanks!

Slowlow Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:15 pm

vdubvr6 wrote: i have a '72 and want lowbacks, but am too cheap to buy some, and i was considering "chopping" the highbacks! anyone know of anyone who's done this? how did it turn out and any pics would be nice too! thanks!

I have recently done just that to the seats in my 72. Lowback seats have different seat tracks so, unless you want to remove the current ones and install earlier tracks, headrest chopping is about the only way to go. I decided to do it after my pan was finished so... I just busted out the Sawzall and cut the seats.
I took pictures yesterday but I left the Digital camera at my garage and I havent had a chance to upload them yet. I just cut the headrest off, and installed a 1/2 in diameter steel pipe (bought from Lowes) in place of the missing headrest. I will upload the pics as soon as I can and I will post them!

ScrapJunkie Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:35 pm

volks67beetle wrote: The upholstery will fit 1965-67 when you order TMI upholstery. However I think the 65 seats may be different than the 66-67.

So are '65 seats one-year-only? :?

vdubvr6 Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:50 pm

Slowlow_70bugg wrote: vdubvr6 wrote: i have a '72 and want lowbacks, but am too cheap to buy some, and i was considering "chopping" the highbacks! anyone know of anyone who's done this? how did it turn out and any pics would be nice too! thanks!

I have recently done just that to the seats in my 72. Lowback seats have different seat tracks so, unless you want to remove the current ones and install earlier tracks, headrest chopping is about the only way to go. I decided to do it after my pan was finished so... I just busted out the Sawzall and cut the seats.
I took pictures yesterday but I left the Digital camera at my garage and I havent had a chance to upload them yet. I just cut the headrest off, and installed a 1/2 in diameter steel pipe (bought from Lowes) in place of the missing headrest. I will upload the pics as soon as I can and I will post them!

outstanding! i've been looking for just that! what year seat covers did you use?

Slowlow Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:19 pm

Well, I havent gotten to the point of seat covers yet! :lol:

I welded the bars in straight (instead of my orignial plan of bending them slightly) so I plan on using the 64 and down covers. My father actually has a 62 vert and I like the original seats in it. I plan on using that style cover with the "squared looking" top. Getting this far was easy, now getting covers to actually fit right will be the challenge!

Sorry that the pic isnt of just the seats. I will take one tomorrow! :wink:
(Man my camber on the front has got to be fixed!!)

Alan Willis Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:11 am

If yours are the white frames they are worth$$$! They are pre'61 seats! You can sell those and have enough money for '65-'67 seats plus upholstery

fusspilz Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:18 am

I had a set of seats in my 70 that were TEERASHED!!! My friend has an upholstery shop in VN and replaced all the springs and horse hair with super comfy foam, I'll get some pics tomorrow. If you need them done, I'm sure he'll do an excellent job. Thats only if you want somebody else to do them.

volks67beetle Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:46 am

Germanpride wrote: volks67beetle wrote: The upholstery will fit 1965-67 when you order TMI upholstery. However I think the 65 seats may be different than the 66-67.

So are '65 seats one-year-only? :?

this is a question I have seen answered both ways...some say they are and some they are the same. Bill May would know more Germanpride....but if you rummage through the catalogs you will find that the seat covers that TMI make fit 65-67 bugs. So don't know what to tell ya my friend.... The main difference is the comfort, according to some the ride in 65 seats suck compared to 66-67... ask Bill May, he will know more...sorry.

Miguel Arroyo Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:15 am

fusspilz wrote: I had a set of seats in my 70 that were TEERASHED!!! My friend has an upholstery shop in VN and replaced all the springs and horse hair with super comfy foam, I'll get some pics tomorrow. If you need them done, I'm sure he'll do an excellent job. Thats only if you want somebody else to do them.

Where did he get the springs from. The ones on my 70 Beetle are sagging quite a bit. Thanks.