TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Correct radio/faceplate set-up for 69 Canadian notch please?
peteroas Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:40 pm

Anyone know what radio and what type of under dash face plate was in these cars???? Thanks, [email protected]

notchboy Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:52 pm

The three major types of radios installed and used throughout production were Motorola, Blaupunkt and Saphire. Each had there own instalation hardware and each changed certain things from 61-73 as far as looks and materials used(metal-Plastic). Which one you want to talk about?

notchboy Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:59 pm

Correct Saphire type for your year.

peteroas Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:54 am

Thanks, that's the face plate I have and I'm told those are for Saphire's because the other two types won't fit in the rectangular hole? Which # saphire is correct? [email protected]

Russ Wolfe Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:11 am

notchboy wrote: Correct Saphire type for your year.

Jason, You have it upside down. :oops:

blankmange Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:16 am

peteroas wrote: Thanks, that's the face plate I have and I'm told those are for Saphire's because the other two types won't fit in the rectangular hole? Which # saphire is correct? [email protected]

I pulled a Saphire IX out of my '70 Fastback
hope that helps...

Russ Wolfe Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:23 am

blankmange wrote: peteroas wrote: Thanks, that's the face plate I have and I'm told those are for Saphire's because the other two types won't fit in the rectangular hole? Which # saphire is correct? [email protected]

I pulled a Saphire IX out of my '70 Fastback
hope that helps...

There are 2 different shapes to the dash mounting. The one notchboy posted is an early one. The other style fits the pig nose late models, I think '71 and newer. '70 may have been an early, I can't remember.