TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: eberspacher
jimmynotch Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:15 am

How hard is it to find a working eberspacher for a type 3? Are these called BN4? I would like to get one for my notch seeing as the NW winters are cold and wet and I like warm and dry. Thanks.

Jim in Seattle

notchboy Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:09 am

There were 3 systems used in the T3. A B2 wich is an early type found as far back as the 50s that had been adapted till they pulled it in 73. The BN2 that apeared in the mid 60s and is the grandpa to modern ebers. And the BA6 originaly used in the T4 411 & 412. Ill be back to qive more info later, but Im off to work. Maybe Andre is lurking?

notchboy Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:52 am

You are in a great area to find a good working unit or one thats restorable. Canada T3 from 65-73 came with Eberspacher gas heaters, all 3 types.

You have 3 options as I see it:
1) educate yourself on gas heaters and go forth and find some making and restoring a working unit.
2) Purchase one refurbished, there is a guy here on the samba that sells them. Search the classys for gas heater.
3) Buy a brand new Eberspacher

have fun!

notchboy Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:58 am

My old 12 volt BN2 north south set up Eberspacher.

Adventurewagen Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:00 pm

Those can be expensive little heaters, Ive looked at some for my buses, but they are just too much.

As for it being cold? It was 60 yesterday and its about 53 today. Personally Im boiling right now in my notch, the heater vents are wired open and it gets damn hot in there pretty quick. Even last week when it was in the 20's it was definately more than comfortable. Im still running stock engine and everything.

Maybe you have a problem in your heating setup, make sure everything is connected and the vents are actually open. I see the heater as being more of a cool item to have than something practical here.

Where in Seattle do you live, Im in Wallingford near Gas works park.

crofty Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:47 pm

A lot of people think they are worth a lot more than they really are. Type2.com has a few articles about gas heaters i buses but they are pretty much the same animal. I make replacement diaphragms for the fuel pumps too if anyone needs one.
The BN4 in my bus works awesome and I'm glad I put one in

brent67 Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:47 pm

"Cool factor" aside....they actually can become a necessity if you want heat with a larger, higher output "air pump" (ie; engine) installed in your ride... I suppose you could fab or buy a higher flowing (merged 1.5" and beyond) stock heater box style setup for a type1 configured engine....But if you go with type4 power I think you might find it the best (and least $$$) way to go...

Russ Wolfe Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:14 pm

crofty wrote: A lot of people think they are worth a lot more than they really are. Type2.com has a few articles about gas heaters i buses but they are pretty much the same animal. I make replacement diaphragms for the fuel pumps too if anyone needs one.
The BN4 in my bus works awesome and I'm glad I put one in

And I have about a yard of material to make the diaphrams out of. We make fuel pressure regulators at work, and I snagged some sample stuff they were going to throw away.

I have the Eberspacher manuals posted on my web site. http://classicvw.org/eberspacher
There are some South Wind manuals there too.