TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Anyone paint cars in the SF Bay Area cheap?
bclark Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:04 am

Want to hook me up? :D

jdashton67 Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:51 pm

Find the booth, prep the body, and i may be able to help you.

How cheap is cheap? You'd have to supply paint materials as well, go PPG all the way.

bclark Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:21 pm

My grandfather is a retired body guy and said he would help me prep it. How much is paint usually? And what do you mean by booth?

Sorry, I'm not as dumb as I sound. I just know little to nothing about cars.

jdashton67 Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:45 pm

By booth i mean paint-booth. Physically a paint-booth must have 3 major factors: Great lighting, Ventilation system, and compressed air source. It would be hard to find in your case (being in the bay area) but ask your grandpa if he knows any painters that would let you come in on their off time. You can convert your garage into one using plastic sheeting and large fan, but the better the booth, the better the job.

Also, ask him if the two of you can do the finish sanding (aka color sanding) and final buffing, which are fairly time consuming on a v-dub.

Once you find the booth, you may find a closer painter. A lot of the guys workin in paint shops get paid dick and would be more than happy to take on a weekend job that would pay them much more. If you linger around your local paint shops (where they paint cars of course) around closing time, you may be able to spark some interest in one of their employees to take on your ride. I know i'd do it if i had to get somethin painted and didn't have the set-up.

hlwimmer Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:55 am

i took mine to LA... worth the drive for a 1/2price paintjob... bayarea shops are under a lot of enviro-pressure + high labor rates. a shop called monderos/montanos/m-somthing comes recoed by the bug crowd (in downtown LA).

there is a shop in sacto that runs booths @ bugorama... seemed to do decent work... but nothing under a few grand. for that, find a maaco or scheib... there used to be an earl scheib south of market... ;)

Travis Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:19 am

If your going to LA, you might look at getting it done in Mexico. Some people I know had it done for like 2k, with all the body work done in metal, and lead paints (last alot longer).