TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Crosswind stability
Squareback313 Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:19 pm

Crosswinds are a PITA in any vehicle to be sure, but I'm wondering what I can do to make my '68 AutoStick (IRS) Beetle a bit more stable. Currently it's running 195R15's on stock rims w/stock ride height & KYB-Gr2's all around & some sort of sway bar in front. Any tricks &/or wisdom?
I am really digging driving my Beetle nearly everyday,(60MI, mostly freeway) even in this typically bitter Michigan winter,but it does have it's shortcomings & this is one I don't know much about conquering.

bill may Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:29 pm

put 1 1/2 degree caster wedges on bottom beam. and check your rear springplate bushings. rear spring plate bushing that are worn cause this as does insuffient caster.

undwirtanzten Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:29 pm

i had the same problem until i replaced all my rubber bushings...but there could be other solutions...have you given your suspension a once over to see if anything might be cracked, broken, or missing?

joemac Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:28 am

I agree with checking the springplate bushings.

Miguel Arroyo Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:56 am

Ditto on the above comments, you may also whant to add a rear sway bar and increase the size of the front sway bar to3/4". CB Performance has them and it will set you back +/-$200.

As a final thought you could put drop spindles but if you wan to use your current tires or even 165's you would need a narrowed beam. This can get expensive.

bill may Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:02 am

need type of indepent rear suspension (either single or dual rear suspension) swing axle is single independant suspension and dual joint is refered to as I.R.S. both are independant rear suspension.. swing axle type should use camber compensater rather than sway bar.

Miguel Arroyo Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:28 pm

bill may wrote: need type of indepent rear suspension (either single or dual rear suspension) swing axle is single independant suspension and dual joint is refered to as I.R.S. both are independant rear suspension.. swing axle type should use camber compensater rather than sway bar.

You are correct. Since Squareback313 stated he had IRS I figured he had retrofited such unit. If not the camber compensator is the way to go.

Bruce Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:55 pm

What shocks do you have on the car? What kind of shape are they in?