TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Westy or not Westy
Buckly Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:54 am

My old kombi was at one point a Sundial camper, (I'm pretty sure). When I bought it it had some leftover parts of a sundial, not much to work with. I rebuilt the interior and used very few of the parts. I have recently picked up a Bay window westy 73 or something close. I got it cheap so I don't want to hear it. I figured the tires were worth what i paid. Any way the interior is in good shape. I would love to replace the sundial kit in my kombi, but there hard to come by. should I slap the bay window westy in the kombi? those bay window busses have to be good for something. i'm going to nab the table if nothing else.

you can kind of see what i did. I did this 12 years ago, so bare with me.

Stanw3 Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:01 am

i say put in the westy stuff and sell me (cheap) whatever Sundial parts you have! :) Here's my Sundial: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=99165

TeamSpatula Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:54 pm

I had an old Travel Equipment Corp. camper with a super-cheesy interior, and I replaced it with a Westy kit...of course, it was a splitty Westy kit, so it fit perfectly. I think you'll have to do some cutting & pasting to get the bay window kit to fit into a split...

velvetgreen Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:17 pm

the bay interior will fit in with a bit of tweaking. the bacy coldbox and jumpseat will fit in although they are taller than the bulkhead by a couple of inches. won't affect functionality more an aesthetic thing

dieselnut Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:06 pm

If I were you, I'd sell the baywindow westy and use the proceeds to buy a split camper interior. Sounds like you could probably raise some cash w/ the few bits that are in there as well. FWIW, SO-42 kits aren't all that difficult to obtain. It will just take you some time and patience, and cash flow when the opportunity presents itself.