TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Converting Back to Heatboxes (F/I)
75 VW Beetle Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:29 pm

When I purchased my 75 FI Beetle the Heater boxes where removed and J-Tubes where installed..

Now I’m trying to convert back to heater boxes and have a question. The hoses 2 hoses which come off the fan shroud connect to little bent pipes that pass through the breast plate on the engine. These pipes somehow connect to the heater boxes. (Allows air to flow through boxes.)

What connects these little pipes to the heater boxes? Is it another short section of cardboard hose? Or is it a metal section like the carbureted heater boxes?

And, where can I find what I need?

Thanks for helping..

keifernet Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:39 pm

Are you putting the FI style heater boxes and stock muffler on? Or are you trying to use carb heater boxes ? I am not quite sure from your post.

75 VW Beetle Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:26 pm

Sorry if I came across confusing..

I'm putting the Original fuel injection heat boxes back on (Square type, different from carb. version)

I will be using a similar to stock set-up from S&S. But has a header that bolts to heater boxes, goes from 2 into 1 and then Quiet Pack muffler. Hopefully a little more free-flow than stock w/ 2 into 1 and nicer sound..Sorry not very relivant...

Does this help? Let me know...

Glenn Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:32 pm

Does this help?

75 VW Beetle Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:38 pm

Sure does!

When I said little pipes I was refering to 10 in the drawing...

Apparentley there is no connector b/t 10 and the heater box? Uses a wide hose clamp? I've got one 1 but I need another..

Thanks much Glenn..

keifernet Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:00 pm

75 VW Beetle wrote: Sure does!

When I said little pipes I was refering to 10 in the drawing...

Apparentley there is no connector b/t 10 and the heater box? Uses a wide hose clamp? I've got one 1 but I need another..

Thanks much Glenn..

If you have the #10 pieces then you are lucky, they are hard to find. I wonder if they will clear the aftermarket system your planning

The "band clamp" #14 Ithink is the same as used on the carb heater boxes and stock carb muffer pre heats.

Even though it is not listed as fitting the 75 and later FI in this link.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D255%2D341%2DA

75 VW Beetle Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:03 pm

Thanks,

Hopefully my exhaust system will all come together with out and problems..And if not I'll know who to ask for advice! :o

I've found what I'm looking for in MA Motorworks, their Fresh Air Hose kit has Connecting Pipes, base seals, clamps (oe style) and hoses all for $19.99!! :wink:

I thought the carb version was different b/c it said it was for 63-74, I've found that some companies put that b/c they themselves don't know what is correct for F/I bugs..

Thanks again for everyones help,
I'll post some pictures in a few weeks or so when my car comes out of paint and the engine is put back in!

Bill E. Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:26 pm

You got a #10 !!! they are hard to find !!! Put a safety cable on that baby so if it falls off you know where it is :lol:

Mine only has a #10 on the passenger side. And about 1" of alum heater tube on the driver side to fill the gap. Or just run the heater tube all the way through.

Then you need to find #?? for the carb pre-heat. And this is on the passenger side too!!