TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Turn Signals
vweater1 Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:26 am

On saturday I changed the distributor, accelerator cable, and timed my car. It's a 71sqbk. Now my turn signals don't work. I didn't mess with anything on the electrical besides putting the condensor on the coil and that was it. Now the turn signals on the gas gauge are on constantly and when I go to use them they do not turn on. What could this be, no sound of being used. Please help a type 3 bro out. Feels like when something goes wrong everything goes with it. :evil:

Adventurewagen Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:14 pm

Could just be a coincidence. I took a look at the wiring diagram, but couldn't see how anything on the coil or distributor could affect the turn signals.

Check out the diagram here. http://66.34.72.138/wiring/t3-71.jpg

You said the signals were working, but all the time right. If you trace the signals back to "E3" you see it gets power from fuse 8 in the panel, which I assume is good. You also have connections "R" and "L" on E3 that go to your turn signal. So maybe there is a short in E3, or in the turn signal (H). Unfortunately since the lights are not separated you can't tell if its in E3 or H, but a voltmeter should help. Im guessing the problem is unrelated to your fixes and its just a new problem.

Come to think of it, also trace from the signals themselves to the fuse box and switches, maybe there is a fault there, which could be causing the dash lights to be on all the time.

Tram Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:25 pm

Any chance you could have bumped the hazard switch with your head? The signals feed thru the hazard switch on these cars. With the key on, turn on your right or left signal. Then, pull out your hazard switch, and push it all the way in. Jiggle it and play with it and maybe the signals will start working.