TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Trans mount ??
classictint Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:42 pm

wondering if anyone has any suggestions on mounts.. my bus was shifting a little notchy(front trans mount was worn) i replaced it and now im having the same problem again a few months later.. i jack up the trans slightly and it shifts fine...should i try a solid mount ? i have a 1776 with a straight axle kit..

TeamSpatula Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:47 am

Did you already replace the shift coupler as well? That can cause the same symptoms...

classictint Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:56 am

teamspatula wrote: Did you already replace the shift coupler as well? That can cause the same symptoms...

I already changed it .......... Thanks

KombiMonster Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:06 am

How about the bushing in the front? (sleeve that's on the front shift rod, not coupler)...I replaced mine and it shifted great....now it gets hung up alittle going into second if I try and go straight down...Well I had it up on a hoist and noticed that bushing is thrashed...I'm guessing I was suppose to lube it up when I installed it. :lol:

splitpile Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:08 am

For a few years it has been hard to find a GOOD front trans mount. I have had German and India and they are exactley the same. I would rate these in the fair to good catagory. The main problem with them is the rubber is vulcanized completely over the metal mounting plate and needs to be ground off where the nuts seat to tighten it properly.
I did recieve some OE VW mexico front trans mounts and they are really nice compaired to the fake German/india ones but also 4 times the price

VWBobby Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:22 pm

some time the holes in the mount can get a little egg'd out or dont fit tightly. Might try losening the mount and jacking the trans until it shifts properly, then re-tighten the mount with the trans shifting properly. If the shift rod isn't centered in the tube it will rub. You might have the frame horn mount a little crooked so it could be pointing the nosecone at an angle also. I would get the trans centered in the bus and see if the problem goes away.