TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Engine Tuning Prices?
nicktingey Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:53 pm

Hey i have a bone stock 73 bug and its not getting good mpg. I've decided to take it in and have the engine tuned because we did all the gas lines ourselves so there aren't any leaks. How much should it cost to have the engine worked on? Carb ajust, valves, all the normal stuff? The guy around here has been none to say one price and times it by 3423423. Any help and price ranges would be great!

Nick

oc63rag Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:45 pm

The guy around here has been none to say one price and times it by 3423423.
What????
Where are you located? You can probably find someone on this site in your area that can tune it for a very reasonable price. Better yet, spend a little money on a manual and do it yourself. Even if you've never done it before you can do it. The parts are cheap and if you can follow steps in a book you can do it.

TeamSpatula Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:34 am

Now is a great time to start learning all that basic stuff, unless you have enough money to pay someone to do it regularly...the basic tune ups are pretty easy, and will help keep you more in tune with your VW...gotta learn sometime...
otherwise, it should be less than a hundred bucks, unless he finds something wrong, which shady mechanics always do...

Randy in Maine Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:12 am

I would guess around a couple of hundred bucks depending on where you live.

I agree that you should learn how to adjust your valves and set you points and timing yourself since you have to do that every 3,000 miles anyway. Plugs and oil change are easy and fussing with the car is good for your soul.

Buy a Bentley manual and the Idiot book and you can get through the whole process in a day. You could buy the Bug Me Video also if you want to see someone actually do it. Got a VW club nearby? Usually you can rope somebody into giving you a hand that has done it before.

Just my $0.02