TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 61 ragtop 62,000 documented miles????
MountainDew67 Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:17 pm

I was told of a 61 ragtop vw bug with documented 62,000 original miles dating back to 71 where the 2nd owner bought it from original owner and had it till 2002, but parked it in garage from 92-02 and then the lady who has it now,is the 3rd owner. I figure with the documentation, the car could be worth a pretty penny to someone. The only problem is the engine is now a 1600cc because she blew the original motor and tossed it out like /6 mopar engine.lol. Well, to what degree would the 1600cc motor devalue the car. Its very original, but the engine is not correct or near correct.

The 1600 thats in it now, just blew up as well,so putting a correct date coded engine in it would be ideal, but I have access to another 1600.
I can pick the car up for aprox. 1500$, which I know you guys will say its a great deal, but I cant keep it, so I dont want to bother with it, unless I can make a few bucks off it. Im not gonna lie, it would be a profit situation only. 61 rag is not incorporated into my plans, but I dont want to pass up a great deal,may help fund my split window project one day....

Let me know please!!!!

TeamSpatula Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:24 pm

MountainDew67 wrote:
I can pick the car up for aprox. 1500$, which I know you guys will say its a great deal, but I cant keep it, so I dont want to bother with it, unless I can make a few bucks off it.
If you can find a cheap way to get it to the east coast, I'd give you $2k in a heartbeat if it's as nice as it sounds...even in California, the land of Cheap, yet nice and rust-free Beetles, an early Rag ought to make you a few bucks...

Ragman Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:56 pm

My 63 ragtop only has 77k original miles, and I am the second owner. It's not really a big deal, and it doesn't add any value to the car. It's just a "nice to know" detail about the life of the car. But, it doesn't make it magically worth more.

The value of the car is ultimately dependant upon it's condition. In 20,000 miles you could trash a car, and on the other hand, a 300,000 mile well taken care of car could be a creampuff.

EverettB Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:25 am

If you just want to flip it, get it running with whatever you have and let someone who really cares about it find the correct month/year engine.

The value is totally dependent on the condition. I've had a bunch of low mileage cars. Some were trashed. Some were rusty. I've also had a car with 120,000 miles that was in near mint original condition.

rickcsvdubs Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:39 am

i have a 61 rag with 80,000 og miles, with og motor, the car is very solid and i still got a steal. but like posted above, it doesn' t really add to the value. I can see if you have a show room quality complete og, with 20,000 or so miles, you might be able to put together a good argument. Buy it keep it, sell it, give it to the next door neighbor or give it to me :lol: sounds like a good deal.

rickcsvdubs Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:40 am

i have a 61 rag with 80,000 og miles, with og motor, the car is very solid and i still got a steal. but like posted above, it doesn' t really add to the value. I can see if you have a show room quality complete og, with 20,000 or so miles, you might be able to put together a good argument. Buy it keep it, sell it, give it to the next door neighbor or give it to me :lol: sounds like a good deal.

gt1953 Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:16 pm

A lot depends on the overall condition of the vehicle.
Engines are not that hard to come by but great body condition is.
Where is it at lets all have a look.