TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: pressure plate wows
forgiven Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:20 pm

I have a 66westy that has a straight axle kit and a 68 type I trans. and HD throwout bearing shaft, a solid trans. mount a 1700 lb ken. pressure plate. My problem is that my pressure plate keeps getting pushed in on one side. This has happened twice in six months. Every thing seems to be lined up and adjusted correctly. The second time around I even gave myself a two inch pedal play and still this problem reoccurred. The pedal does go all the way to the floor?

Please help me get my westy back on the road.

VWBobby Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:34 pm

Are you using the correct HD clutch shaft? If its the wrong shaft it could be throwing the bearing too far towards the clutch....

Are you using the "fingers" alone or do you have that collar on the PP covering the fingers? If you have the collar on, I'd remove it. I use the metal throw out bearing with the guide sleeve in the transaxle and the diaphram clutch.....with just the fingers touching the bearing, no collar. Seems to be problem free everytime.

forgiven Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:16 pm

what is the difference in the throwout bearing shafts? i told them what year my trans. was and he gave me what i have. now the pp it does have the spacer on it , will a sleeve guide fit on a 68 type 1 trans. my trans. has no place to bolt one on like the irs trans. does. i'll do what ever it takes to get it back on the road.

VWBobby Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:14 pm

Some shafts have longer arms where the bearing attaches so it throws it out farther.

They Might have given you the wrong throw out arm, did you compare the arms before you installed the new one?

They make an Adapter sleeve that you tap into the trans case.
You can get it from places like www.aircooled.net
It makes it so you can run the later style TOB. Sounds like you have the Early style. The early style Does use the collar, so thats good, probably.

KEP has been known to make a bad PP or 2. Might try a STOCK pressure plate and see if it solves your problem. If it does, send it back to Kennedy and get a replacement.
If you aren't running at least a 1776, you don't need the 1700lb PP, so chuck it if you have a stock engine.

bill may Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:48 pm

find a genuine type 3 clutch it is diaphram -but ony has 3 arms like a spring type clutch.

forgiven Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:04 pm

im back, ok i measured the t/o bearing shaft and it is 3/8 longer than the stock one but i also measured from bottom of shaft to center of the bearing support and its only 1/8 longer than stock could this be the prob. now my eng. is a 1641cc with an w-100 engle cam stock heads 1 5/8 merged header do you think that a stock pp is better than the 1700pp with this set up? the reason why i had a 1700lb pp is just because i have always used them since my very first bug back in 1985 no real reason just an quicker release. now for the type 3 pp i've thought of that but i dont know what do ya'll think ok i think i just gave away that im from texas by saying ya'll but anyway all info. welcome please.