TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Ragtop question
drago Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:05 pm

Hi

I am looking at buying a 1962 ragtop beetle and I have been told that the ragtop is a factory option however it has the word or name "GOLDE" embossed on the silver handle at the front of the ragtop.

I would have thought it would have had a VW logo if it was from the factory but am wrong most of the time anyway.

cheers

dazza

Alan Willis Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:42 pm

Take the handle off and look in the inside of the handle,VOILA! theres the vw emblem!

L-jetronic Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:06 pm

Hey Alan, you got any front wheel cylinders around? Just broke the bleeder screw AND THEN broke an easy-out flush in the bleeder about 10 minutes ago. ](*,)

bill may Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:07 pm

what year beetle? i have some.

Alan Willis Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:09 pm

Bill literally has a drawer full! PM him or give me a call

oc63rag Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:13 pm

I may be wrong on this but I believe that Golde was the manufacturer contracted to make the handles and then VW put their stamp on it afterwards. Those Golde handles are getting harder and harder to find, at least for a reasonable price.

drago Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:39 pm

thanks all!

Jerry J Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:35 am

It looks like, from the Authenticity Series book, that Golde made all of the parts for the rag top.

RareAir Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:33 am

oc63rag wrote: I may be wrong on this but I believe that Golde was the manufacturer contracted to make the handles and then VW put their stamp on it afterwards.

Your right. But Golde didn't just supply the handles, they were the oem supplier for the entire sunroof assembly.