TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 21 window roof Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
handk Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:03 am

Hay whats up guy I wanted to know if the top windows from a delux whould fit on a panls roof if you cut them in. Insted of doing the hole roof section I know its a dumb :?: but me and my brother where thinking about it and i needed to ask if the delux roof is a bit higher to alow space for the windows or the same as the panel. I also whanted to know if there is a kit that i can get for a rag top insted of triying to fix a old rusted one. thank

UZI Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:07 am

don't do it

pyrOman Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:09 am

:roll: Yeah, what he said! :roll:

Nice av UZI! :P

handk Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:11 am

do what :?

bmx2c4me Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:11 am

yeah, what THEY said!

handk Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:15 am

I realy whant to put the rag top on and the windows look cool so is it possabil

bmx2c4me Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:27 am

yeah, the roofline is COMPLETELY different, don't do it.

If you have enough roof to hack in all the skylights, just fix the whole samba bus up...too many panels are gettin' botched up.

Eric&Barb Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:30 am

Hi Woodsy,
Anything is possible. You are kind of asking if you jumped off a tall building and flapped your arms real hard, would you fly?
In other words problems with ramifications caused by what you do. The delux roof is reinforced to prevent flexing! With not reinforcement windows will not keep sealed and other problems like cracking of the steel will occur over time.
Eric&Barb

handk Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:35 am

I know Irealy whant to do the rag top, and the windows on the panel jhon jones did is awsome so the best way to get the delux windows is to do the roof section ? I wanted to know in my firs post if the roofs where the same becouse I was thinking if you cut all 4 windows out as one big rectangle around them all and the roofs where the same hight I just cut my van at the right spot and same size and put the section in

pyrOman Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:45 am

"I" would not recomend it, and God knows I've hacked my share cars! :roll: That is not a job for a beginer and even pros can tell you it is not as easy as it sounds, not to mention the costs.

Tell your brother to "jump off the building and flap his arms real fast!" :lol:

Buckly Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:42 am

The problem with do what you are talking about is the samba roof was designed to have the windows and rag top, extra supports not only in the roof area, but else where. A pannel would have some serious body flexing problems. It would turn your pannel into a wet noodle.
to top it all off, it would destroy a 21 window and a pannel splitty.

Andrew Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:56 am

If you insist on doing it, you should put in belly pans, too, to make up for the huge hole in the roof. Gotta make up the support somewhere.

handk Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:02 am

there is more than just me that whants to do this or has dun it before I whant to know how to do it the right way and where I can get a new rag top if there is sutch thing and do you guys think the window thing will work if I just cut the window sections out and put them on to my van insted of doing the hole roof section and how will I soport it thanx

chopped50ford Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:17 am

woodsy wrote: belly pans?

If you dont know what these are, you should stop what your doing, right now. Scoop that wild thought out of your head and coterize it w/ a soldering iron.

If you are not an experienced body/metal man (which I am), then you should not consider doing this. Especially if you dont know buses very well. There is a right way and a wrong way. The wrong way will put your bus in the junk heap w/ the rest of the rice burners because you decided to instantly become a metal customizer and your end result was a roof that looks like a "fat chicks stomach after serous liposuction" after you were done. It will ruin the bus and its structrual integrity.

Trust us, you dont want to hack your roof...unless you have the experience to fix it correctly, and I dont mean BONDO....you will be upset after the poor results. Buses are getting less and less, if you want a 21 window, buy one.

Please dont HACK up a perfectly good bus :evil: ...if you have to have it because it "LOOKS COOL", have it done professionally. If you need direction, ask us and we can find you a good shop that can do it, and fabricate what you need instead of sacrifice a 2nd or 3rd bus for your wild affair.

"There is my 2 cents....now give me my change."

handk Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:35 am

thank bud :x I know my own shop thank :) and why do you think im asking you think I whant to reck my bus I was asking so I can have all the info befor I even deside to bring it to the shop so keep your two cents and your chang and beet it :twisted:

handk Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:44 am

I dont know what the big problem is I just whant some one that has dun this to tell me the best way to it
I dont know if I will get it dun but if I deside to do this to MY VAN I will and I will know what to do and not to do if get a little help

Thanks

pyrOman Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:57 am

chopped50ford wrote: "There is my 2 cents....now give me my change."

:lol: :lol:

I'll have to use that line sometime! :P

Well, seems like we've brought the horse to the water. :roll:

chopped50ford Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am

For a new guy... you sure are friendly :D

We are simply trying to help you and give you advice on what most people have tried to attempt.

Basically, you seem a bit clueless (not to insult) on the subject and were trying to help.

If you cant handle the criticism or advice, dont ask. Nobody is threatening to beat you down w/ a Bowden tube. Geeeeeez. :? Not that everyone here are purists, but they understand there are less and less buses out there.

Hey, if you want to cut up your bus, that is your choice....Hell, why not cut out the roof and put a 20 fold rag in there? :roll:

Some simple advice (again): If you want answers to "Customizing" questions, be prepared for the mob. Thats all. :o

woodsy said
Quote: and beet it

That would only result in a huge stain...Ill pass; Thank you.

"Ill take my 2 cents back...Thank you!" :? [/b]

classictint Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:25 am

[quote="woodsy"]I dont know what the big problem is I just whant some one that has dun this to tell me the best way to it
I dont know if I will get it dun but if I deside to do this to MY VAN I will and I will know what to do and not to do if get a little help

did you know that a roof clip for a 21 window is going for around $2,500-$3,000 thats in my area at least.. good luck...

mynameismud Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:11 pm

put the roof hack on hold and purchase something you really need....like Hooked on Phonics....

"I realy whant to put the rag top on and the windows look cool so is it possabil"... :roll: