TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: PLF Tents Page: 1, 2  Next
RobzKombi Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:54 pm

I will be in the market for a tent soon and I was wondering if any of you have bought one of these tents?
(the $475.00one. http://www.plfvw.com/campers/tents/tents.asp )
how is the quality and fit? are you happy with your purchase? and last but not least, do you have any pics of your tent set up? thanks all.

dstefun Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:53 pm

I've never heard any complaints about Dawn's products, just that's she's sometimes slow. Do a search for PLF in the Classifieds/Vendors forum....

jardindelalma Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:10 pm

i haven't bought one (only because i am a poorboy) but i hvae only heard great things about dawns tents, curtins and stuff....

i know there are folks in the Albqurque club that have her tents and i have seeen several (they look good!) here's a link to the clubs site and you could post somethin on the forum (nice folks!)

aaavwclub.com

good luck and consider posting somethin of your opinion when / if you find out for yourself!

abuspilot Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:46 pm

If your looking to spend that kind of money, I would recommend a late 60's thru 70's westy drive away tent. It is very nice to have when camping, especially if you expect to drive you bus. Good luck in your search.

RobzKombi Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:48 pm

Thanks guys, I did do a search and found that shipping WAS slow but quality was great. abuspilot I'm not sure what you mean by drive away tent?? is that what Dawn at PLF has for sale?

abuspilot Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:01 am

The one she sells when set up must remain attached to the roof for support. If you plan on going for a drive the tent will have to be taken down. The og westy drive away tents attach at the rain gutter and are self supporting. Check out this website for all the different tents. http://www.supernet.net/~jclark/vw/splits.html Look at the Pre 68 westy tents and scroll done to the 65-67 Big Top for an example. If your not familiar with this tent fyi it is hard to find and not cheap. That is why I recommended the 68-79 westy tent, these are all over and in the 475 price range. They are excellent tents. I love mine. Hope this helps.

RobzKombi Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:18 am

Thanks for the insight, I will be looking into that type of tent but will still consider the PLF tents. Thanks again.

crofty Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:22 am

abuspilot wrote: The one she sells when set up must remain attached to the roof for support. If you plan on going for a drive the tent will have to be taken down. The og westy drive away tents attach at the rain gutter and are self supporting. Check out this website for all the different tents. http://www.supernet.net/~jclark/vw/splits.html Look at the Pre 68 westy tents and scroll done to the 65-67 Big Top for an example. If your not familiar with this tent fyi it is hard to find and not cheap. That is why I recommended the 68-79 westy tent, these are all over and in the 475 price range. They are excellent tents. I love mine. Hope this helps.

That's a lot for a bay tent.

Stanagon Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:00 am

There is a bay window westy tent that is advertised on the VWVortex.com. The seller is asking $375. I think it is complete. Unfortunately it is also in Canada (New Brunswick), which might cost a lot to ship to the US.

Here is the link:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1747538

You'll have to sign up as a user to post, maybe to view the thread also. I have a phone number to contact the seller (daytime shop number). PM me if you'd like the number.

I posted information about theSamba and indicated it might be a better place to sell the tent quickly.

-Stan

abuspilot Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:03 am

crofty wrote: Quote: That's a lot of a bay tent. Not for a nice one but for one with holes and missing parts sure I agree. I didn't pay that much for mine and I have all the poles, bags ,stakes and as close to perfect as you can get tent. I think it's alot of money for an after market Sundial type tent though. I am certainly not questioning PLF's quality. I am just simply saying if given a choice I would use a bay westy tent any day over a must remain attached to the bus type of tent.

crofty Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:09 pm

abuspilot wrote: crofty wrote: Quote: That's a lot of a bay tent. Not for a nice one but for one with holes and missing parts sure I agree. I didn't pay that much for mine and I have all the poles, bags ,stakes and as close to perfect as you can get tent. I think it's alot of money for an after market Sundial type tent though. I am certainly not questioning PLF's quality. I am just simply saying if given a choice I would use a bay westy tent any day over a must remain attached to the bus type of tent.

I bought a bay tent for $300 with all the poles in great shape.

crofty Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:34 pm

SHSC wrote:

Because you paid 300 for a bay tent, that means that is the going price? Anyways, 300.00 for a bay tent is still a waste of cash.

Duh, I set all the standards. Where you been? That IS what I wrote, right?

$300 ain't that much money and I'm sure you spend that on things that I would say are a waste of cash , so to each his own. The average price of those tents at the shows I went to last year was around $300 and ebay was around the same.

abuspilot Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:48 pm

Hey Crofty,
I would say your $300 was well spent. Although I paid alittle more for mine, I am happy for every dollar I spent on mine. It definately adds space to the bus when camping.

crofty Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:03 pm

abuspilot wrote: Hey Crofty,
I would say your $300 was well spent. Although I paid alittle more for mine, I am happy for every dollar I spent on mine. It definately adds space to the bus when camping.

I have the correct floorless tent for my '65 and a few months back I purchased a privy tent. The floorless and the privy tent are selling for 3 times what the bay tents are so I think I did alright too.

Hella Bro Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:14 pm

Baywindow tents will be going up in price but not like the early Westy or Bigtop tents. In time, just like everything else Westy, the stuff will be harder to come by.

Flipseat Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:58 pm

What are the small early westy tents going for these days? The "cabana" tents.. the ones that use the two inner tent mounts on the roof. I can't remember the last time I've seen one up for sale.

splitpile Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:06 pm

Flipseat wrote: What are the small early westy tents going for these days? The "cabana" tents.. the ones that use the two inner tent mounts on the roof. I can't remember the last time I've seen one up for sale.

I would consider selling one of mine for 1 k. I think they are rarer then a full size westy tent. I think the last time I ever saw one set up was on my own bus/

Ian Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:04 pm

I have a baywindow tent that my grandpa gave me. Looks to have been setup only a handful of times. Great tent. I recomend finding one of them for the functionality and use. Really, it's an awesome tent.

Hella Bro Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:31 am

Yeah right those "cabana" tents as well, those are rare to find. Personally
I'd collect one but for me realistically Id just about never use it. Id just put up the bigger tent.

65Busstop Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:41 pm

I thought about buying a PLF tent or a Westy tent but I was concerned about it taking up valuable space in the back of the bus. Once I get the kids and all their junk in there is not much room left. Where do you guys store your tents? Do they get in the way of passengers in back? I like the look of the older tents. I bought an Overcamp because it stays on roof and does not get in the way.