TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: new motor wont boost
Deutiches Reich 25 Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:02 pm

Just test drove my new motor and under full load it will only generate 5psi of boost, and lacks the power it should have even with that. I have my wastegate set at 10psi and it is correct. no exhaust is coming out of the wategate exhaust i am sure because it is cold after running and still has no carbon inside the new tubing. the motor runs great and revs up fast but in gear it sounds wrong. Any ideas??? I am self taught and this is my 2nd turbo creation.

a_67vdub Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:27 pm

I think you're going to have to give your engine specs before anybody can help you.

Steve

The Noof Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:52 am

The mans correct...the more info the better. Don't overlook the obvious things, like having enough total advance, no high side air leaks, ect. 8)

peterericb Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:24 am

also don't forget the other things that are often overlooked:

Air filter or other restrictions on the intake
Shaft play on the turbo
exhaust leaks on the header
and of course any and all boost leaks

kevinrocks Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:07 pm

What kind of turbo do you have? What cc is your motor? Your turbo may possibly be too big for your motor to spool it.

Deutiches Reich 25 Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:34 pm

i have a 2110 cc with cb ultra plus 044s, the turbo i am using is a 0.50 A/R compressor housing. 0.63 A/R turbine housing T3/T04E 57 Trim.

Vwboy72bug Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:41 pm

is it a new turbo with a new wastegate? some friends and i had a similar prob. and it turned out the wastegate was bad on it and it would only build 12 psi instead of 20

loudaddy Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:48 pm

did u ever get the boost to come up? how does your motor build boost with this turbo? i am building a 2110 also and bought a kit that came with a turbo that has exact specs. thx lou

Stripped66 Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:24 pm

loudaddy wrote: did u ever get the boost to come up? how does your motor build boost with this turbo? i am building a 2110 also and bought a kit that came with a turbo that has exact specs. thx lou

Lou,
the original poster hasn't been back to the Samba in over 5 years. You may have to wait a while before you get an answer... :wink:

eshenbaugh Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:12 pm

Im back! different username.. Almost 10 years have passed!

Turned out the chinese POS turbo I had was bad!

Bolted on a Garrett turbo built by Joel Britt @ AZ tractor and it hauled ass.

Boy have I learned alot over the years and matured a little too LOL.

Im still daily driving the same car with the same case,crank,heads and turbo, everything else has evolved.

Was having fun reminiscing over my old posts from years ago!