TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Question about arm rest in a 67
nimbus Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:03 am

I should be getting my bug back from being painted in a few days, and I have already ordered my complete interior from JBugs and I am getting things ready.

My question:
Is the arm rest on the door panels straight across, or at an angle? I have seen some bugs with it both ways, they were straight across on mine when I took the panels off. And the panels from Jbugs have holes punched so I can do it either way. My vin is 117374615 if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

I am sure I will have many more questions once I really get in to the interior and engine.

bill may Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:38 am

november 1966/67 model year.. ill check both my 67's when its light out. mid year 67..

kn4kt Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:09 pm

Here's a pic of my VIN. 117364408 armrest

nimbus Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:27 am

so, at slight angle....thanks.

RareAir Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:54 am

When you recieve the JBugs door panels, they should be pre-holed for the armrest location. It'll be a no brainer.

nimbus Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:45 am

I already have the door panels from JBugs, there are multiple hole locations already, that's why I wanted to see which holes to use.

See...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=105890

Jkelety Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:26 pm

Hi all -

I'm adding to this old post because I'm trying to determine which pre-drilled holes to use for mounting my arm rests on my '67 Bug. The available holes are ambiguous. If using the closest matching larger holes with the plugs still in place, they don't match up. The one that does match up has a plug in place and a smaller complete hole. I've located the arm rest near the two best set of holes in the top two photos below. I will visit a friend's '67 survivor and take measurements first. But just wanted to know if others found TMIs holes to be ambiguous. Will also call TMI on Monday.

Thx!
Jeff

hitest Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:38 pm

Can you place the bracket on the hanger and press the panel up against the door and see where the bracket runs (where it determines the handle angle)?

You could "do" the above 1st step and, using blue chalk, mark the bracket ends. After pressing the panel against it- it should leave two blue round hole/square donut-shaped marks right over two of the precut stamps in the panel. I've used the technique countless times to find and mark hidden mounting holes.

Jkelety Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:15 am

Thanks, Hitest! The bracket isn't an issue. I traced the location of the hanger bracket on the door to a piece of 2mil clear plastic and drew it on the back of the TMI panel. There's a lot of latitude in positioning the armrest so that it falls inside of the door hanger bracket. What I did since raising this post is look at quite a few photos of '67 armrests. There's a good bit of variation regarding the angle at which they are placed. Some quite angled and some even horizontal. I was mostly curious about TMIs pilot holes. They are ambiguous. I will call them today but really, it will be mostly personal choice. I will also to measure a friends '67 survivor assuming they are the original panels. Thx again.

Digger89L Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:02 pm

A quick stroll thru the vehicle literature brochures in the Archives section of this forum reveals the angle of door pull / armrests on both the passenger and driver door of the 67 Beetle (...its the same angle) ...and also, a check of the 66 brochure reveals that it was installed flatly horizontal (chrome strip lined up with the chrome strip on the door) on the passenger door. (no standard armrest on the driver door...but it was a dealer installed option, for $10.50 installation included).