TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Porsche & VW Wheels
Calisupastarz Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:55 am

Saw these wheels listed on Ebay, he says that they fit a 70s 911 (7x15)was wondering if they would fit onto a '69 Type 1? I realize that I would need 4 to 5 adapters but would they only work with a narrowed beam? I have included a link to the listing, and I don't care if somebody else picks them up, more power to you, there a no bids on them at this time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4522318978

On another related issue, is it possible to run New VW Beetle Alloy Wheels on an old Aircooled '69 Type 1? They are 15" wheels, don't know the width. Saw an ad for them that looked like a pretty good deal, and I realize again that I would need to run adapters, but has anyone else ever run this type?

kingco.kreuzer Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:46 pm

you do not need a narrowed beam. just be careful if your car is dropped. i have seen 7" run on stock ride height and dropped a couple of inches. but if you slamm it way low then you may need a narrow beam. there are much more knowlegable people on here though. i think the reserve on those is going to be a good pennie. be prepared to pay some cash.

Bruce Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:08 pm

Beware, those are fake cast aluminum wheels, not forged like the originals.

To fit those on the rear you have to run a narrow tire, like a 205/60/15. Any wider tire will rub on the fender.

To fit them on the front requires a narrowed beam, at least 2-2.5"

Calisupastarz Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:29 pm

Thanks for the advice, yeah, it just looked way too good to be true at that price. Incidentally, I checked out a little info on the New Beetle Alloy Wheels. They are 5 spoke 17" x 7" ! So I guess you would run into the same sorts of problems trying to run them (narrowed beam needed).

RareAir Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:45 pm

Calisupastarz wrote: Saw these wheels a 70s 911 (7x15)was wondering if they would fit onto a '69 Type 1? I realize that I would need 4 to 5 adapters but would they only work with a narrowed beam?

No need for adapters. Your Beetle has 4x130 bolt pattern which is shared by the Porsche 5x130 You can have a machine shop redrill your drums. It'll be safer and you won't have to worry about the extra spacing an adapter would cause.

Bruce Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:03 pm

Calisupastarz wrote: ..... the New Beetle Alloy Wheels. They are 5 spoke 17" x 7" ! So I guess you would run into the same sorts of problems trying to run them (narrowed beam needed).

Not necessarily. It depends on the offset of the wheel. Most likely you will find that you can bolt those NB wheels directly to your drums with no adapter and they will fit fine. Find out what the offset is.