TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: removing interior cab door handels on split bus
darrragh Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:26 am

hi i was wondering if anyone could tell me how to remove the interior cab door handels.i cant seem to find how to do it and dont want to force anything. van is a 64 split.
any help would be appericated

peace darragh

reddog Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:15 pm

theres a little metal pin u need to find something small enough to go in hole knock out with hammer

darrragh Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:19 pm

so i this pin in the moulded handel itsself?
or is it behind that rubber grommit type seal thing betwwen the handel and the door card ?
or do i have to get at it by prying behind the door card?
thanks a million for the help

Hella Bro Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:21 pm

You push the plastic 'grommit' towards the door panel. This will expose the handle shaft. You will see a pin. The grommit is probably fragile and will break so it would be wise to have a replacement before you try this.
Push the grommit back towards the panel, youll get resistance from the spring behind the door panel. In order to keep the handle and the grommit
seperate use the shaft of a pencil/screwdriver/punch between the H/G. This will free up your hands so you can push/tap the pin out.

oilspot Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:13 pm

Just had to pull the handles on my 64 two days back. I had forgotten how tough it can be to knock the pins free, and yes I did break one of the spacer thingys.

Hella Bro Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:45 pm

On one of my buses I converted from pin to screw-on. I was tired of taking the pin out evertime I had to get access.
I bought a metric tap that's the same size as the 65-67 door handle screw. I tapped the shaft and got some later style 65-67 handles on.

Flipseat Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:59 pm

I find this operation works best with 3 people. One to hold the door, one to push the door panel/grommet back, and one to tap out the roll pin. The bus wasn't so bad, but the oval was more of a pain the the arse.